Light-O-Rama Forums

Serious Frustration with LED strings

LORisAwesome

Hi

I have been testing the strings that I plan to put on my roof. I got these strings from noveltylights.com. They are 70 ct C3 LED Christmas Lights. Here is the link http://www.noveltylights.com/70-Bulb-C3-Strawberry-LED-Mini-Christmas-Lights/?altpath=N

Unfortunately they are no longer available in the colors that I need. I seem to be having a high failure rate with the red and blue strings. I have some extra blue, but not red. I do have some red from CDI that I planned to use as replacements, but I'm afraid they won't match 1/2 wave vs full wave and bulb size/shape etc...

I keep finding strings where only half the lights work. What is more frustrating is that on a couple of strings if I wiggle the first/last bulb in the string, they come on, and sometimes stay on, wiggling the bulb more does not make it go back out.

Other times half the string goes out, and wiggling the bulb seems to have no effect, then it suddenlty comes back on for no apparent reason.

It almost seems that leaving it plugged in for a few minutes takes care of the problem.

This is the last year for these strings, I plan to replace them with strings from CDI.

Any suggestions for diagnosing/repairing the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you can confidently narrow down issues to a bad/loose connection at a bulb, I would cannabalize a non-working string by cutting out one bulb and replacing the bad/loose connection bulb on the string in question (mind your polarity before soldering and shrink-tubing or taping)...

I've saved a few strings that way.

You could probably also get away with cutting out the one bad bulb in a string where the loose/bad connection is and just connect the two wires together that were tied to that bulb. I wouldn't do that more than once on a string, as the voltage per bulb goes up a bit...That's worked for me as well, but I usually replace the bad bulb...

Randy

Jerry,

I know that with my LED lights from CDI. They look totally sealed. I have been able to take them apart and do repairs on strings. Since you state that you can move things around and get them to work and not work. I am thinking you may have a situation where some water got into the base and corroded the leads on the LED. The contact are brass. But the LED leads are more of a nature that will rust.

I can help you with this if you like.

Chuck

I have some LEDs from last year that got water in the sockets and started to rust and thus causing the string to go out. Anyone know a quick easy way to repair this? Right now I am thinking of just replacing those 4 strands this year, but I am affraid others could go out this year.

imawlkr2 wrote:

I have some LEDs from last year that got water in the sockets and started to rust and thus causing the string to go out.

If this is an "emergency" repair, unplug each "bad" socket (which may mean every one), scrape off the rust with a knife, then apply some NOALOX and plug them back in. I did that on a LED string that had been glued on our roof for 3 years, which fixed it for the season. Later, I removed it and replaced it with a string with non-removable bulbs.

That was what I thought. Not sure I have the time to pull 1600 bulbs, scrape them, put the compound on and then plug it back in and hope for the best. But I don't have the money to replace with good strands either. ;)