Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Practice - What to connect ctb 16pc

imposterbond

Is there any know guidance on what the best connection of lights should be - can you mix mains with transformers on 1 channel without causing problems

Is it best to use 8/16 channels for 1 type ie all mains then all transformers .I am looking at spreading the load across my cards so will end up with every other one be a mains or transformer - has anyone found this causes problems ?

Guest wbottomley

imposterbond wrote:

Is there any know guidance on what the best connection of lights should be - can you mix mains with transformers on 1 channel without causing problems

Is it best to use 8/16 channels for 1 type ie all mains then all transformers .I am looking at spreading the load across my cards so will end up with every other one be a mains or transformer - has anyone found this causes problems ?

:shock:

What?

Being across the pond from you, our mains voltage is different. Very very few of us use lights with step down transformers.

Simce the Aussies have similar mains and light strings, you might want to post your question in the LOR section on the Aussie Board.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/

Guest Don Gillespie

wbottomley wrote:

imposterbond wrote:

:shock:

What?

good one William you beat me to it.

There is no restriction on how you connect the lights. You can connect any light combination to any channel. There are a few caveats:

1. The total current in any one channel must be less than 8 amps. With a mains voltage of 240v, this means a maximum of 1,920 Watts per channel (unlikely!)
  2. If your CTB-16PC has the low-power heatsinks, then the current per channel is limited to 1 amp (240 Watts).
  3. You cannot fade (dim) or shimmer channels with transformers. If you do, the transformers will be destroyed after a while. I know. I did it. For this reason, you may want to put your transformerless (mains) lights on channels separate from the transformers so you can fade and shimmer at least some of your lights.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep - You'll find there will be problems using lights with Low Voltage transformers.

I'm based in Somerset, England - I use 240v Mains LED lights. I haven't had any problems using these. They fade, shimmer etc with no problem at all.

If you need pointing in the right direction at anytime, don't hesitate to send me a line!

Nice to hear from someone in the uk.I have had problems in the past with mixing mains and low voltage on the same channel so now when I work out my channel config I do not mix. I was wondering if you like me try to use 8 channels on a card for just low voltage or if you find it does not make any difference in using channel 1 mains channel 2 low voltage etc
On another note - did channel 45 contact you ?