Light-O-Rama Forums

Where are you getting your cases?

TJ Hvasta

Ok, I have two -16PC I need cases for.. and with BroadbandStore closed up, I really dont want to spend $25 for a box from HomeDepot. So where do you get yours?

Check out the CG-xxxx family of enclosures. Several vendors carry them, but two units may not make it worth their while.

In the meantime, you could always check out the Foley Family website and see his deals...

http://foleyfamilychristmas.com/wlc-ventures-the-store-page/demarcation-enclosures/

Or try here:
http://wlcventures.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4&zenid=pooilo3boohpo53mpthhup4p81

There's lots of options out there....

Randy

These were recommended in a thread a few months ago. I haven't tried them yet but they look the right size.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=05&p=PVCB2GRY&d=Perfect-Vision-PVCB2GRY-Heavy-Duty-Enclosure-Boxes-%28PVCB2GRY%29&c=Cable%20Distribution&sku=

If anyone has gotten any of these, a review would be appreciated.

I have mounted LOR boards into the CG-1500 ... and to be honest, all the retrofitting wasn't worth the money saved.

I'd get the LOR case or the one Jeff linked to (same LOR case) ... just because its a great case and fits the LOR boards without any modifications.

I will agree, I have used other enclosures but till all was said and done with the extra work to retrofit and what not I felt it wasn't worth it, my last few units I used the PC enclosure, besides I would rather pay a little extra to a company that has excellent support in hopes new products continue to roll out.

I got lucky on ebay several montha ago grabbing a dozen of the CG-1500s for a few bucks each; the price was too good to pass up..using those, and a couple of the larger Hoffman/Carlon boxes (reference Denise Brunner's mega tree controller enclosure) for a few controllers where that makes more sense.

Although my display isn't large, I love the idea of distributing the controllers -- put them where its most convienent, which probably isn't all in the same place.. I've seen a bunch of photos of displays where all the controller boards are in one plastic bin -- I feel like that's not only potentially dangerous, but also requires a lot more extension cord, which is way more expensive than a single ethernet cable...

To that end, I just bought the PC complete kit (all assembly required).

MY question is if anybody has bought multi-conductor cable, and run more than one channel -- for a mega-tree, you'd run a lot fewer cords up the pole that way (maybe most people feed a megatree from the bottom?)

-Matt-

Matt, having all the controllers in one bin isnt dangerous, not anymore than having all of them mounted on a wall in the garage.. as for more cords required, thats the thing.. but all depends on your layout. Me specifically, I have four controllers on the ground at the base of my megatree, two on the ground under my four arches, two on the ground behind my minitrees, one on the roof running the roof/window lights and one on the ground for the LED floodlights.. Having them at at each element reduces the number of extensions, but doubles/triples/quads the number of Cat5 cables needed..

• 3 weeks later...

I bought six CG-1000 boxes when BroadbandStore went out of business, and they worked well, I just drilled and zip-tied the boards in place, didnt have to refit any mounting, unless you consider drilling and zipping "refitting".. so when WLC opens tomorrow, I'll email them for 4 more.. the 1500's would work too, might even just buy that case of 6 they have for $60.. you can never have too many enclosures.. The other link for the LOR boxes.. if they were less than $20/ea.. maybe, but if I'm going to spend $20 for a LOR box, I'll just get them from Dan himself.

The black marine battery boxes from WM (or elsewhere) work well. They have two sizes. I have my LOR DC controllers mounted in them. In one box I have 2 power supplies and 2 DC controllers. Has places in the lid (where the battery cables would exit) that work perfectly for the wires to enter/exit the box.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snap-Top-Everstart-Marine-Battery-Box/16781380

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snap-Top-Everstart-Marine-Battery-Box/16781379

Rick Childers wrote:

Paul - The "black marine battery boxes" is a brilliant idea!

Thanks. I'll tell my dad. I got the idea from him. :cool:

Here is a pic of the box I have 2 DC controllers and 2 power supplies in.

PC1700775050.jpg

Paul Roberson wrote:

What kind of lights are you using that require two 30A power supplies?

Steven wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

What kind of lights are you using that require two 30A power supplies?

"Requires" may be a strong word. :D

I am using RGB 5050 strips. These 2 controllers/power supplies are running 34.5 meters of these RGB strips. All on they would pull 41.4 amps.

I got the power supplies from the same place I got the RGB strips.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I am using RGB 5050 strips. These 2 controllers/power supplies are running 34.5 meters of these RGB strips. All on they would pull 41.4 amps.

I'm using the same RGB strips, and 40 meters (8 * 5m). However, the label on the package said 8W/m, and I believed it! :X Now I'm a bit worried, as I have no way to test the whole tree until November. I will, however, test a few strips with an ammeter.

Steven wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

I'm using the same RGB strips, and 40 meters (8 * 5m). However, the label on the package said 8W/m, and I believed it! :X Now I'm a bit worried, as I have no way to test the whole tree until November. I will, however, test a few strips with an ammeter.

I did not test them myself either. Just going by what was posted on the website.

Says 14.4W/m:shock: I am interested to hear what you find out.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Steven wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

I did not test them myself either. Just going by what was posted on the website.

Says 14.4W/m:shock: I am interested to hear what you find out.
don't mean to encourage the derailment of the thread... but I have the same strips coming from Ray as we speak.. I asked him about these numbers and he said that the 14.4w/m is only for the 60led/m strips, and that's at full brightness for all R, G, B... You're only looking at about 7-8w/m with the 30led/m ( I guess he just uses the same info for all his strip postings).