Light-O-Rama Forums

Lighting control

Wayne K

What is everyone using to control there extra lighting. I use lor for all of my outside lighting at Christmas time. But inside the house I have been using the X10 stuff from smart home to control my X-mas tree and all of the extra lighting around the house. But since doing a win 7 upgrade there is no software update for my x-10 controller and it will not work with win 7. So I guess it is time to upgrade to something else for control. So as I said above what is everyone using to control there extra lighting needs? I want it to be stand alone and not part of lor as I turn a couple of different lights on every night.

Thanks

Wayne

I use the program called Cmax which comes with the Ocelot which sends out the X10 commands all over my house

Easy to program using ladder logic style commands

I have been using X-10 for many years to control lighting all over my home. The problem with X-10 is that the more switches/devices you add, the more problems you may have. The signal goes through the electrical wiring of the house. If all the devices are not on the same "leg" or "phase", you usually have to add a crossover to make it work dependably. I have two crossovers and repeater switches and still have difficulties.

I have slowly been migrating to Insteon from SmartHome. It's a much more stable technology---it uses both radio signals and electrical line signals to communicate. And, unlike X-10, the more Insteon devices you have, the better they communicate. They are a bit pricey; however, another advantage is that Insteon devices also support X-10 technology. So you can add one to your X-10 network and gradually move to Insteon. If I have a problem with an X-10 device, I replace it with an Insteon. I love the technology.

PM me if you need more information.

CKSedg wrote:

I have slowly been migrating to Insteon from SmartHome.

I have also replaced my X-10 devices with Insteon. I control it with an ISY-99i, which is, like Insteon, a bit pricey, but I figure it will probably work well for the next 20 years so why not?

The garden lights and front porch motion-sensing light are also controlled with Insteon, and since I want them turned off during my show, I use LOR with an X-10 interface to send a signal to the ISY-99i, which then turns the lights off, and back on when the show is done.

I have an old X-10 sunrise/sunset detector that also sends signals to the ISY-99i to start the timing programs. Because X-10 is not that reliable, my ISY-99i program uses the sunrise/sunset calculator as a backup.

In other indoor lighting matters, I was counting the lights in the master bedroom. There are 8 separate light fixtures that can be controlled. 6 of those can be dimmed from the bed. It's light having an 8-channel (manual) controller! Then there are 3 more light switches in the bathroom and another in the closet. How did my house get so complicated?

Wayne, What errors are you getting trying to run the software in 7? Have you tried the compatibility mode and disabling the user access controls?
If you are using Win 7 professional or higher you can install XP mode and probably keep using your x10.

Wayne, What errors are you getting trying to run the software in 7? Have you tried the compatibility mode and disabling the user access controls?
If you are using Win 7 professional or higher you can install XP mode and probably keep using your x10.

If I remember correctly it would not run at all. I downloaded one of those free win xp compatability programs and it is still flakey at best. It was last December when I was trying to make it work and I just remember thinking this fall I would look at something else to control my inside lighting.

Steven wrote:

How did my house get so complicated?

Steven, my wife asks me that all the time. I have seven lights in the bedroom, four in the theater, and about 10 in the family room. I'm even looking at installing the controls to automatically close the blinds in the theater. Lazy? Nah, I just love technology. Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

I use X10 to turn on the basement lights (old house with no switch down stairs).
I also use it to blow up my inflatables. Turn off my flood during the show.
I am using Windows 7 and can load (or could last winter)Active home no problem.