Jump to content

Problem with CTB16D kit


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I just finished building my CTB16 Deluxe kit. I connected it to my PC, set the ID via the rotary switches, and plugged it in. The LED came on steady, so I configured the port & clicked "refresh" so the software could find the board. When the progress bar got to about 2/3, the LED went out completely. I let the software finish & when it did it reported back that it had found the board. I proceded to test the board, but nothing worked. I unplugged power from the board and replugged it, still no LED. Hit "refresh" again & this time the PC reported back 0 units found. I figure that something's fried, but I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas where to start?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would first start with the network cable. Try a new cable. Then verify the network connector is soldered well. Also verify that you are connecting the cable into the jack next to the phone jack. Do you have other controllers? Do they act correctly?

>> Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hedg12 wrote:

So I just finished building my CTB16 Deluxe kit. I connected it to my PC, set the ID via the rotary switches, and plugged it in. The LED came on steady, so I configured the port & clicked "refresh" so the software could find the board. When the progress bar got to about 2/3, the LED went out completely. I let the software finish & when it did it reported back that it had found the board. I proceded to test the board, but nothing worked. I unplugged power from the board and replugged it, still no LED. Hit "refresh" again & this time the PC reported back 0 units found. I figure that something's fried, but I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas where to start?


Generally when the LED is on solid without the controller connected to the computer, the micro-processor is in backwards. The notch on U2 (microporcessor) should be facing right.

The other thing that causes this is that the Unit ID switches, U3, R2 and/or solder joints are not correct. The orientation of R2 is important -- dot must be on the right.

Until you get to the point where the LED flashes when the board is not connected to the computer, things aren't right.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, I got a few things out of order on my last post. (I was a bit frustrated) The LED was flashing until I told the software to auto configure the port. As soon as I did so, the LED came on solid. At that time I hit refresh & that's when the trouble happened. The unit appeared to be functioning correctly until then. I've gone over all the solder joints & checked the orientation of all the components - everything is correct, and the fuses aren't blown. When I built the board, I inadvertantly put U12 and U13 in backward. I caught it before I ever put power to the board, but I did have to unsolder and resolder those two chips. Could the potential damage to one or both of those caused by the excess heat be causing this problem? If so, is it possible to get replacements? Thanks for your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hedg12 wrote:

Sorry, I got a few things out of order on my last post. (I was a bit frustrated) The LED was flashing until I told the software to auto configure the port. As soon as I did so, the LED came on solid. At that time I hit refresh & that's when the trouble happened. The unit appeared to be functioning correctly until then. I've gone over all the solder joints & checked the orientation of all the components - everything is correct, and the fuses aren't blown. When I built the board, I inadvertantly put U12 and U13 in backward. I caught it before I ever put power to the board, but I did have to unsolder and resolder those two chips. Could the potential damage to one or both of those caused by the excess heat be causing this problem? If so, is it possible to get replacements? Thanks for your help.


While it's possible that excess heat harmed the optos, and even if it did, it shouldn't affect the comm side of the micro. Maybe after we get the board to talk with the Hardware Utility we'll see problems with channels 9 & 10.
Maybe there's something wrong with the Unit ID selection section. Try this: With only the one board attached, start the Hardware Utility, go to the Change Existing ID section, select "Any Unit" note the warning in the pop up box and click OK, then use the New Unit ID drop-down to select unit 01, click the Change Unit Id button. See if refresh and test work now. If yes, then there is a problem with Unit ID selection. Let me know how you fare.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No luck. The hardware utility can't see the board at all. It gives me the "unable to find" error both when I try to change the ID and when I try to auto configure the port. I've checked the cable w/ a network tester so I know it's good. Just to reiterate, I'm sure I have power at least to the fuses, and the LED is OFF. It never comes on at all. Thanks again for your help here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hedg12 wrote:

No luck. The hardware utility can't see the board at all. It gives me the "unable to find" error both when I try to change the ID and when I try to auto configure the port. I've checked the cable w/ a network tester so I know it's good. Just to reiterate, I'm sure I have power at least to the fuses, and the LED is OFF. It never comes on at all. Thanks again for your help here.

Make sure power makes it through the fuses, 120 vac on both sides. The logic is power from the right side fuse. If yes to power, proceed below.

Leave the Unit ID switches at 01.

If the LED is off, check the +5 & +9 vdc power supplies. There is a gnd , +5 & +9 pin on the 18 pin header. Be careful because there is line voltage all over the place and try not to short anything out on the header.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hedg12 wrote:

I have power on both sides of the fuses, but no voltage at either the +5 or +9 pins on the 18 pin header.

Are both of the jumpers on to select 120 vac? (next to the transformer)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, so I've got a pretty little flashing LED now. But now, the PC can't find the board. When I try to auto configure the port in the hardware utility, it gives me the "no board found, check connection and make sure the board is powered" message. Help! I'd really like to get this going this year - if I have to order a replacement board I don't think I'd have time to make it happen. (My fault, not Light-O-Rama's).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...