Light-O-Rama Forums

Unit ID Numbers

Guest guest

Does it make any difference which unit ID is the one connected to the computer? I have six controllers, but the computer is attached to the one with the unit ID of 06. LOR only finds five controllers, not the last one in the chain which is unit ID 01. I did my first test tonight, but decided to wait until daylight tomorrow to check that controller. Maybe I have the data cable connected to the wrong jack or something else I overlooked. The controllers that are found show 1-5 in the hardware utility, but really, based on the way I have the controllers set, they should be 02 through 06. As I said, I won't do any troubleshooting until dayllight, but just thought I would ask for some other options to check if it is not the obvious. Oh yes, one other thing, the controllers that are found are the five that I built from kits. The one that is not found was one that I purchased assembled. All are green boards; no firmware updates have been done (no leds).

Top of my head ...

Last one in the chain is not being found? I would suspect:
Wrong connection
Bad connection
No connection. :)

For referrence, it does not matter which one is first, or what order they are in. For example, mine are 1, 2, 6, 3, 7, 8 and 4.

LED was not flashing, so the first thing I checked was the fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and it blew as soon as I plugged in the board. I need to troubleshoot and see where the short is located. Using solid strand wire for all the connections, so I know it's not a random strand somewhere.

circus4u wrote:

LED was not flashing, so the first thing I checked was the fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and it blew as soon as I plugged in the board. I need to troubleshoot and see where the short is located. Using solid strand wire for all the connections, so I know it's not a random strand somewhere.

When this happened to me, it was a bad chip somewhere. (Probably caused by water in the base of a flood light.)

Make sure everything is unplugged from the board when you power it on. Then replace the items one at a time. That will give you an idea if something is causing a problem or not.

I found the problem; as I assumed, it was my own carelessness. Still can't believe that I did what I did. I hooked the neutral and hot wires to the same side of the power outlet on one of the channels. Instant short! I now get a flashing led when I power up. I will run the hardware utility tonight and hopefully, LOR will find the board if I didn't do any damage other than blowing the fuse with the short. Fast acting fuses functioned as designed.

circus4u wrote:

I found the problem; as I assumed, it was my own carelessness. Still can't believe that I did what I did. I hooked the neutral and hot wires to the same side of the power outlet on one of the channels. Instant short! I now get a flashing led when I power up. I will run the hardware utility tonight and hopefully, LOR will find the board if I didn't do any damage other than blowing the fuse with the short. Fast acting fuses functioned as designed.

You shouldn't have damaged the board to the degree that it won't be found. You might have blown the triac on the channel you shorted. If you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron, you can pick up a replacement at Radio Shack and solder it in. Triac's get unhappy with dead shorts...

But let's hope you don't need to :smile:.

-Tim

Tim,

You were right, I burned out the triac, but other than that the controller works fine. When I set up though, I took Dan's advice on one of the other posts and have six back up, open, channels so I am just changing over to one of the spares. After the holidays, I will replace the triac.

For some strange reason, one of the other controllers that was working fine yesterday has now assumed the ID of the controller that did not work yesterday. Of course, it is one of the two that controls the mega tree that is acting up. I will try the reset tomorrow and see if that corrects the problem. I'm setting outside, in the middle of the desert with only one neighbor, and am having all these people stop by and talk. Hard to get anything done, other than adjust some lights and change bulbs.