Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Software Wishlist - Allowing a Channel to be On/Off Only

Randy

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I turned in the idea via the wishlist email address and referenced this thread...

Randy

Jeff Millard wrote:

+1 for Paul's idea. IMHO it would be a better approach to be able to use the hardware utility to set a channel to behave as a DIO channel. Then, any effect added to the sequence would be treated as an "on" taking care of the on/off issue with things like strobes and motors. Then your could put a piece of red tape on the wire to remember that it's been set to on/off. It would make it forgiving when sequencing.

This on/off feature discussion has come up before. But I think Paul hit the nail on the head for the actual incorporation of it into the system. I believe Dan would have a direct role in something related to the firmware and hardware utility. If anyone is interested in this being added to the Sequencer or Hardware utility and firmware... the wishlist really is the best place. A higher number of requests for a particular feature moves that feature up the ladder and improves it's chance to make it into the system.

Jeff

This was more along the thoughts that I had. I don't have any strobes yet, but if I did, it would be great to set it via the hardware utility and/or have the sequencer lock any effect on a track set to control a strobe to be ON/OFF only. This way a fade is just ON until it is off, a shimmer is ON, and so on.

There's a weird behavior of subsequence channels that you could take advantage of in order to force channels to be 0% or 100% intensity. Before I show it, a couple caveats:

(1) This is obviously not good as a "real" solution, but it might at least help in lieu of one.

(2) The weird behavior that it takes advantage of is something that we've intended to get rid of for a long time now, so this trick might not work in future versions of the software.

A link to a video showing how to do it is at the end of this message, but the basic idea is this:

(1) Set up a channel config file in a certain weird way.

(2) Set up another channel config file properly (i.e. reflecting how you actual sequences to be).

Then, whenever you're about to play a sequence that you want protected, and you have reason to believe that it may have been changed in the meantime:

(3) Import the weird channel config file.

(4) Save.

(5) Close the sequence.

(6) Open the sequence.

(7) Import the real channel config file.

(8) Save.

Here's a video showing in more detail:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/ForceToOnOrOffViaSubsequences.swf

Jeff Millard wrote:

cyberfix wrote:
This way a fade is just ON until it is off, a shimmer is ON, and so on.

This is similar to how a DIO channel works already. ANY effect is treated as an on to a DIO channel.

Jeff

Thanks for the clarification...

So if I understand this correctly, by setting this at the hardware level you have the ultimate protection. In the event that you did not set it correctly in the sequencer, the hardware would know better and will still only allow OFF and ON. Is that right? If so, seems like a nifty idea with lots of protection built-in.

cyberfix wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
cyberfix wrote:
This way a fade is just ON until it is off, a shimmer is ON, and so on.

This is similar to how a DIO channel works already. ANY effect is treated as an on to a DIO channel.

Jeff

Thanks for the clarification...

So if I understand this correctly, by setting this at the hardware level you have the ultimate protection. In the event that you did not set it correctly in the sequencer, the hardware would know better and will still only allow OFF and ON. Is that right? If so, seems like a nifty idea with lots of protection built-in.

Is this how a DIO channel works or the whole DIO board?

To be clear, we would want to be able to make ON/OFF only control, at the channel level on a regular LOR controller.

Of course we would still be responsible for getting the strobes plugged into the correct channel output.:shock::)

I would like this function and I would use it.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Well, by definition DIO expansion boards or USB devices are strictly on/off to begin with. This doesn't include the DIO32 and Servodog devices. I'm discussing those devices that are set in the channel configuration as: "DIO" that utilize the Measurement Computing Universal Library or Instcal standard.

With these devices, any lighting effect placed in the associated channel will be treated as an "on" to the DIO device. So when I say "DIO channel" what I mean is the channel that controls the DIO device... which is strictly on/off.

Jeff

I see. Thanks. I know nothing about DIO. Other than the fact that it did not work in the S3 visualizer.:P