Light-O-Rama Forums

Star or no Star?

Arnoldc

I have been on and off about adding a star to my "tall" trees, I have them detailed out to be 9' tall. I was thinking of adding a 16" tall star on the top, made out of ply wood, with holes drilled for the lights.. I just don't know if I should or should not do this. My biggest thing is the star will block some of the display since being solid, but then again, who will really notice that? What do you guys think?

I have never been fond of a star made out of plywood (too much wind resistance), but think you should put some sort of star...

I have two different types...

one is the "3D or Rotating star"...
similar to this one: http://christmaslightshow.com/3D-wire-frame-Star.html

and the other one I call a "Bethleam Star"..

both are made out of aluminum rod for strength and light weight...

I have one of the 3D stars Jim mentioned. Video of last year's display with that star can be seen here:

I am adding another taller tree for this year and plan to top it with the Bethlehem star.

Was wanting to do the 3d star next year. I already have next years display laid out, and have plans for a 12' weber tree, and getting rid of my 4 "mega" trees. My idea behind the plywood stars is this. I have 2 of these trees on the left and right sides, for a total of 4 trees. I have 2 colors on each tree, the left and right sides are just mirrored. Being I'm out of channels, I was going yo Mack each star have both of the colors, and just connect them with the lights on the tree.
I had these trees up last year, and they do need something, just don't want to spend a lot on a prop that I won't use next year. I could do foam, cut out the center, and actually make it like the 3d star. Maybe it's time to experiment with this idea...