Light-O-Rama Forums

Outlet labels

BrownOut

Does anyone know where to get the number labels like LOR uses on their cables? I bought some at home depot and they started coming off in a week when used out doors. I know I can use a paint marker, I just liked the labels better.

Thanks. Logan

I will pick some for damp locations and try them out. I think the brand I got was 'Ideal' from Home Depot. Thank you sir.

That was my first try. Used the Dymo at work. Even tried overlapping the label. I wonder if the labels were old.

I myself just use a ptouch label, wrapped around the cable. There are many different varieties, some stickier than others, but I found the regular ones last a few years at least. Another option would be custom heat shrink from heatshrink.com Only issue is I think you have to buy 25 of each item, so you'd be buying enough pieces to do 25 controllers. Been a while since I ordered from them....might be a group by opportunity though....I'd consider getting some for my controllers.

jimswinder wrote:

My dongles are SPT2 wire and vampire plugs...so I just used a black Sharpie.

I found that a silver metallic Sharpie stands out better and lasts longer than black.

Steven wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
My dongles are SPT2 wire and vampire plugs...so I just used a black Sharpie.

I found that a silver metallic Sharpie stands out better and lasts longer than black.

Picked some up on the way home. Thanks!

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I use P-touch labels. I have never had any come off or fade.

I am using these as well... I'm still new at this but they made it through the HABOOB on the 4th of July!! ;)

Attached files 252769=13767-haboob.jpg

Silver sharpie works great here. While assembling kits and attaching cords, I mark the channel number on both ends of each cord to help keep them straight during assembly. And mark the number on multiple sides of the cord outlet since once all the extension cords start to get attached, it becomes more difficult to see the numbers if they are just on one side.

Silver is best I agree, but I use the paint pens you get in the craft stores instead of the Sharpies.

guess it depends where you live.. I just cut strips of paper, number them and use shipping tape to wrap them at the outlets.. in AZ, we dont have to worry abt wet/cold..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

guess it depends where you live.. I just cut strips of paper, number them and use shipping tape to wrap them at the outlets.. in AZ, we dont have to worry abt wet/cold..

Did that my first year, and then realized it was about 10 times faster to go the sharpie route. Plus kept finding that the number on the paper was always on the opposite side from where I was looking. They do look sharp this way though.

The Ideal labels from Home Depot seem to be holding up well for me. They do get wet a lot (I live in a rainy area).

• 3 weeks later...

Dymo makes a heat shrink cartridge that you can print on in different sizes. Have used them for years at work stays on and looks good. Another suggestion is to use the nylon tape cartridge in the labeler as it is designed for wrapping cable.

Another vote for the Silver Sharpie here too. It's what I use and have had no fading or issues. Just sometimes need a small LED flashlight to see the number on the plug when all the lights go out. But usually they even stand out in a somewhat dark area.

I have handled my cords numerous times and they haven't smudged, faded, or deteriorated from the body oils from my fingers. Ever since I was given that as an option to mark my cords when the labels were falling off or fading, it has worked fantastic. Won't use anything else on my cords.

Plus if you really need to eliminate the number from a cord, like an extension cord or even the cord from the controller, just requires a regular ol' pink pencil eraser to remove. But does take a little elbow grease to rub them off.

Otherwise the Silver Sharpie method has been rock solid on my cord sets.