Light-O-Rama Forums

4th of July Show more details on build

paulanator

Hi Bobby,
sorry for the late response, I am just now getting back into 4th of July mode.

The firework is 8 - 5ft sticks with 4 sections on each stick, and each section/color is a channel. So I used 2 controllers, 32 Channels total.

It was really fun programming. This video I did was a summertime medley, and it was really fun programming it. You can do a lot with the 32 channels this way.

paulanator wrote:

Hi Bobby,
sorry for the late response, I am just now getting back into 4th of July mode.

The firework is 8 - 5ft sticks with 4 sections on each stick, and each section/color is a channel. So I used 2 controllers, 32 Channels total.

It was really fun programming. This video I did was a summertime medley, and it was really fun programming it. You can do a lot with the 32 channels this way.

Attached files 306276=16796-like-button1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I made the mistake of showing my wife the video of your tree that you decorated with light balls. She has been after me for years to deck out our tree in our yard. It is huge. Did you make the ball and lights from scratch or did you have some kind of kit to work from?

Attached files 310533=16977-DSCF0810 a.JPG

Hi Todd,
that looks like a perfect candidate for the balls.

Here is a link to Holiday University, with details on the build.

http://holidayuniversity.com/forums/index.php?topic=1085.0

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have seen others use chicken wire and some other ways to make the balls. This town in Greensboro do up a bunch of the balls for their neighborhood.

Here is a video and on the right side of their blog, there is a how to video.

http://lightedchristmasballs.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have any pictures of the light balls after you fabricated them? I could not get the Holiday University post to display the pictures.

Here is a little more detail:

I have a huge Blue Spruce on the corner of the house, which is the corner of the block. The tree is 30+ feet and I really wanted to do something since it is so Christmasy (?) looking.

So I came up with an idea, and gave it to my friend the resourceful farmer/electronics/handyman.

He built 18 balls from wire he had out on the farm, something from old telephone poles they took down several years ago.

The wire is about 1/8" and very strong. He made a jig, and bent them into 13" circles, and welded them. Then took 4 and welded them vertically, then one horizontally. Lastly he added a Little hanger on top. They are sweet and going to work perfect up in the tree.

I used 3 strings of 100 each (300 total) M5 LEDs. I am going to use 5 different colors and 5 channels for the tree.

Todd,
no problem, it is a fun project, and I have to say, many people were in awe and just loved them.

The tree looks awesome, and I am going to add about 5 more this year.

I have not tried to measure the height or width of the tree. I am guessing that my tree is around 75 feet tall and around 30 feet wide. I do not think that 18 balls would do it justice.

I may just have to start with a few and figure out how many I will really need over time. Getting them up into the tree will be interesting. I may have try an extension pole and see how that works.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was hard to tell how many would fill up the tree.

What I did, was made one, went out one night, put it up next to the tree, and stood back, and got an idea of how many it would need.

The way we mounted them was to get chain, like the dog run type chain. We put a loop around the top of the tree, and then strung (?) lengths of chain down the tree, and hooked the balls on with those simple double ended spring clips.

Attached files 310701=16990-2011 11 10_Balls in Tree_00

Ok, so would you hang more than one ball to a chain? What did you use for an anchor point up on top of the tree? I am wondering about making a permanent attachment ring on the top of the tree than can stay up year round and not effect growth of the year.

Seems like having multiple balls to a chain would lend some uniformity to the lights and simplify hanging the lights up.