Light-O-Rama Forums

Talking Snowman for my Christmas Show

paulanator

I am building a talking snowman, and I purchased the Animatronics Experimenter Kit from Aaron Fetcher.

I really did not need the older style input (cassette deck) that he uses in the kit, because I am using Light O Rama Controllers.

I have built the physical head, and yes I know it is a gargoyle :) This is my prototype to get everything working before I proceed.

The mouth is controlled by air, with a solenoid connected to my DC LOR controller using 12v.

In this video, I had pre programmed one of my 2010 voice overs just to see how close I would get to talking. I am used to doing talking to lights usually using e a bit of ramping up and down. With the DC controller, it is a bit different with only the on and off.

This was my shakedown cruise with everything, and for my first go round, I was really pleased. It is a little jerky in areas, but with some valve tweaking, a little more tweaking with my programming, I think it will work really well.

O yeah, and a big round head might help too... ;)

http://vimeo.com/26145723

Attached files 251865=13693-snowmanhead.jpg

Very well done, it talks better than me. Hope you are using him for a Halloween show.

I have a fully animatronic snowman in my display. It isn't air powered...as that is well out of my level of expertise...but it does sing and dance. You can see him here...

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Greg

Is it alive ? lol It speaks so well ! :-)))

Is it alive ? lol It speaks so well ! :-)))

Great job, what is the mask made out of?? Is it a regular latex mask?? Timing with the audio if right on

Greg, first of all, I really love your snowman, and that is part of my inspiration for doing one this year, thanks!

The head under is made of PVC, and very simple. I will post some photos for you. The mask is latex and was supplied with the kit.

I am working on creating a latex snowman head, should be interesting... :)

I still need to fine tune the talking, I think I have it a little bit too fine, more on/offs than might be needed.

It sure is a blast to play with.

I am using servo's. I have used pneumatics before and hated having the compressor on all the time, plus we live in a colder climate so afraid of the brittle nylon lines. So far the servo head is working well. I just have so many "new" items, I have not played much with it. Nice days I work inside, rainy days I work inside

Denise,
yes, I am going to use servos for the left/right turning of the snowman, I think they will be much easier to work with for that.

I do like the mouth action with the air a little better than the servo action. But I have seen some pretty good servo programming on some Halloween characters.

• 3 months later...

Animatronic Snowman Update:

Busy weekend, brother putting up lights on the house with some really nice PVC type frames he built for me.

I worked mostly on the snowman and finished all the mechanics and tweaked things this weekend. Checked out my sequencing, and tweaked a bit there too.

The video is a test of Will E. Melt, our MC for this year's show. All parts of him are done now, and the stage with pneumatics for a turntable for him are also done.

Will assemble him this week and test the whole body and head together.

Just a bit of tweaking to make the face a bit more "friendly" and of course the lighting will not be from below.

paulanator wrote:

Busy weekend, brother putting up lights on the house with some really nice PVC type frames he built for me.

I worked mostly on the snowman and finished all the mechanics and tweaked things this weekend. Checked out my sequencing, and tweaked a bit there too.

The video is a test of Will E. Melt, our MC for this year's show. All parts of him are done now, and the stage with pneumatics for a turntable for him are also done.

Just a bit of tweaking to make the face a bit more "friendly" and of course the lighting will not be from below.

http://vimeo.com

I love it. You are all so talented.

paulanator wrote:

Wow; looks great!

• 1 month later...

Mark,
yes, thanks so much for your help and advice.

I will get some videos of the show so you can see what you helped to create!

Hope your show goes well and the Kringles rock em up!

• The topic was locked