Light-O-Rama Forums

ccb channel count

Donny M. Carter

If a CCR has 50 pixels and 150 RGB channels, does the new CCB basically have 100 pixels/bulbs and 300 RGB channels. I understand (I think) that the CCB set is actually 2- 50 count strings.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donny M. Carter

• jimswinder

• cmoore60

• ItsMeBobO

CCB can be 2 50 count sections. It will be sold as power supply and one 50 pixel string. A power supply will be able to power 2 strings of 50 pixels.

Chuck

I guess what I should have asked is if I am making a track with a CCB in it, would I put 150 RGB channels per string in that track. Then select cosmic color device. Maybe I should wait for S3, it may have CCB listed in the device section.

If you right-click on a channel name and use the insert device option you'll find it easier and quicker than what you're asking about. Also, the software, both S2 and S3 does not differentiate between CCB or CCR, they're both the same from the Sequence Editor's perspective.

For some reason I was thinking the CCB's would be different than the CCR. I guess 1 CCB bulb is basically the same as 1 pixel on a CCR. So 50 bulbs per CCB string = 150 RGB channels.

So next question. If I were to run the 2- 50 count CCB strings off 1 controller, how will channels be assigned. Pixels 1 thru 50 will be on one string. What about the second string from the same controller. Will the second string be 51 thru 101?

I spoke with Dan this morning and asked how the CCB will be programmed. The CCB will be 100 pixels / 300 channels if you purchase 2 50 pixel strings.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

I spoke with Dan this morning and asked how the CCB will be programmed. The CCB will be 100 pixels / 300 channels if you purchase 2 50 pixel strings.

Chuck

Thanks for the info. So I guess the CCB controller will have a unit number and channels will be 1 thru 50 for one string and 1 thru 100 for two strings. Just trying to set up my new channel config. Guess I could put two Cosmic Color Devices in one track and change the numbers later when the info is released.

Based on what I saw on the demo strings the CCB is 50 pixels per string (150 channels + what ever macro's). the controler/power supply has two contector pig tails for the stings. This means that with 100 pixels (2 strings) the controler/power supply) will be in the middle of the two strings (not end to end). I was given two different answers on the final spacing (both 4 inch and 6 inch) (so ??)

jerrymac wrote:

Based on what I saw on the demo strings the CCB is 50 pixels per string (150 channels + what ever macro's). the controler/power supply has two contector pig tails for the stings. This means that with 100 pixels (2 strings) the controler/power supply) will be in the middle of the two strings (not end to end). I was given two different answers on the final spacing (both 4 inch and 6 inch) (so ??)

Thanks jerrymac for the info. The controller in the middle of (2 strings) is ok with me. They spacing on the other hand is a concern. If I remember correctly Dan said the spacing was around 8". Guess we will just have to wait and see. I plan on ordering several strings as soon as they are available.

I spoke with Dan directly regarding the the spacing. The units they had at the show are 6 inches between the bulbl bases. They are having them made at 6 inch center to center.

Chuck

Thanks for the info Chuck. :cool:
So I guess we are roughly looking at 24' per string

Still trying to figure out how 2 CCB strings will be numbered on one controller. Will it be split up?

unit01- A side= 1 string
unit01- B side= 1 string or
unit01 channels 1 thru 50 for 1 string
unit01 channels 1 thru 100 for 2 strings

I have sent an email to LOR. Just anxious, plus I want to add a couple of CCB's to my master.

What I forgot to ask Dan was how the CCB strings will appear to the sequencer (assuming a double string of 100 bulbs). i.e. 300 channels (100 pixels) or as 2 seperate 50 pixel strings (like 2 CCR's). Since they will not be out for a couple of months it would help to know so I (we) can get to programming now. Maybe one of the beta testers or Dan / or BOB can chime in?

LORJohns post
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26261&forum_id=72&highlight=CCB

Just like the DIO board which has 4 unit ids, the CCB controller is going to be two consecutive unit id numbers. Each with 157 channels. Two independent controllers in one housing. The main thing they are doing is optionally allowing the pixel numbers to be flipped so the controller can be in the middle of the two strings. This allows an easier chase across strings.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

LORJohns post
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26261&forum_id=72&highlight=CCB

Just like the DIO board which has 4 unit ids, the CCB controller is going to be two consecutive unit id numbers. Each with 157 channels. Two independent controllers in one housing. The main thing they are doing is optionally allowing the pixel numbers to be flipped so the controller can be in the middle of the two strings. This allows an easier chase across strings.

Thank you Sir!! Guess I should have looked around a little more.

jerrymac wrote:

What I forgot to ask Dan was how the CCB strings will appear to the sequencer (assuming a double string of 100 bulbs). i.e. 300 channels (100 pixels) or as 2 seperate 50 pixel strings (like 2 CCR's). Since they will not be out for a couple of months it would help to know so I (we) can get to programming now. Maybe one of the beta testers or Dan / or BOB can chime in?

The CCB controller has one unit ID and 320 channels. Channels 1-160 are bulb string one. 1-150 = RGB, 151-157 = res/macro/color-effect, 158-160 = reserved. Channels 161-320 are bulb string two. 161-310 = RGB, 311-317 = res/macro/color-effect, 318-320 = reserved. In legacy unit ID mode it can take up to 20 unit IDs.

A bulb string is programmed like a CCR. Same RGB, res/macro/color-effects. This was done for sequence compatibility. The only difference is that the res channel can be used to 'flip' a bulb string. Adding 50 to the resolution intensity channel flips the pixels on that bulb string. I. e. a resolution of 100 means a resolution of 50 but the pixels on the string are addressed opposite the configured orientation -- which is normally pixel one closest to the controller. This is an easy way to mirror any effect programmed, either RGB or macro without changing the sequence.

This is a total rewrite of the CCR firmware into a higher performance language and will be moved to the CCR once it is proven. The rewrite was required to handle the worst case of almost 70,000 adjustments per second required in the CCB controller. Right now a 100-bulb CCB consumes an entire DMX universe. On a LOR network, you can drive, at the pixel level, about three CCB controllers each with two 50-bulb strings. We are hoping the new firmware will allow us to run at twice the current fastest network speed so that twelve 50-bulbs strings can run on one LOR network -- we'll see. This doubling would also apply to CCRs.

The Sequence Editor will be enhanced to make insertion of a double string CCB easier.

Thanks for that info John. Many of us are truly excited to add this new dimension to our displays, I know I am !