Light-O-Rama Forums

Summer Sale

mrduncan

JBullard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Greg Young wrote:
Also, as the beta testers are working with LOR3, it should be apparent that will not likely be ready before the end of the month sale.

What?

They can't test the other 16 hours in the day they are not at their REAL jobs and have it tested in a few days?

Slackers... :D

I don't ever remember the software being on sale, so S3 has nothing to do with the summer sale.

The programmers are hard at work on bug fixes and improvements the beta testers are finding. Anything that you do in S2 will just transfer into S3, so no need to be waiting.

I didn't mean to imply it would be John. I was just attempting to say that folks should not expect S3 any time before the summer sale, the latter of which may/may not occur by month's end.

I am looking for a fall release of S3, which will be (hopefully ;)) well after the summer sale. :dude:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rstately

• jimswinder

• Max-Paul

• David Rise

I hope they get the sale started soon. I am looking to add few more controllers and CCRs, but can program around them since I have already worked with them. My concern is with adding DMX flood lights and using the iDMX1000 (which I hope to buy). That is something I have not used yet and not sure what all need to be done.

I'm not getting any of the latest and greatest gimmicks. I just need a few more controllers and I'm done, until set up time.

Powers_Ronald wrote:

I hope they get the sale started soon. I am looking to add few more controllers and CCRs, but can program around them since I have already worked with them. My concern is with adding DMX flood lights and using the iDMX1000 (which I hope to buy). That is something I have not used yet and not sure what all need to be done.

Literally the iDmx is almost plug and play. You need to set it's address, and either get XLR cables, or XLR to RJ45 adapters to send its signal to your DMX devices. (I have a pair of male and female adapters that just plug into the iDMX).

You can power it directly with a wall wort, or indirectly via your CT5 network cable from the 485B (USB) LOR unit, or a nearby controller.

Essentially the iDMX takes the LOR -> DMX translation off the shoulders of your computer (which might be handy if you don't have a robust pc), and allows running DMX directly via a LOR mp3 director unit, which frees you up from using any computer.

It is limited to 512 channels, 128 of which are intelligent channels (fading, etc) if memory serves...

That being said, if you intend to run your show from a pc, you may want to wait until S3 finally hits, as you will be able to purchase a less expensive DMX dongle, as S3 will run the translation on the pc.

I am hanging on to my extra iDMX unit, as I may want to setup other displays that run directly from a mp3 player/director.

Greg

Dan et all,

If you are not having the sale as of yet due to not ready with some of the new items. Well it is like this. It is getting to the point where many of us would not have time to incorporate them into this years show. A few more weeks and you might as well have the fall sale or no sale at all this year. Cause if you wait more than a few more weeks. Some of us might not receive the sale item in time to put it out into the display. Drop Dead, deadline is just around the corner for many of us.

I know that I am grateful for the sale as may others are. I am just saying that the sale wont do any of us any good for this year is it is delayed much more longer.

Thanks Dan et all

Max-Paul wrote:

It is getting to the point where many of us would not have time to incorporate them into this years show. Drop Dead, deadline is just around the corner for many of us.

I am just saying that the sale wont do any of us any good for this year is it is delayed much more longer.

Thanks Dan et all

What? :shock: It's still only July.

We still have 4 months, or a quarter of a year before firing up displays.

Plenty of time, plenty of time.

Santas Helper wrote:

What? :shock: It's still only July.

I'm shooting for Halloween! :'(

Santas Helper wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
It is getting to the point where many of us would not have time to incorporate them into this years show.  Drop Dead, deadline is just around the corner for many of us.

I am just saying that the sale wont do any of us any good for this year is it is delayed much more longer.

Thanks Dan et all

What? :shock: It's still only July.

Well thanks to the weather here in MT, I start putting Christmas up the day after Halloween. That's the only way to have any hope of being set up before the snow starts flying.

So that leaves August, September and October to program my sequences. But there's only so much I can do when I'm not sure yet what hardware I'm going to be using. For example, I'd really love to do my mega-tree with CCB's and if I can that will require a ton of work on the sequencing.

Last year I had nine songs. With three months left to program, that boils down to only 10 days for each song. And that's if I start work Monday. Even if I were to program right through November (which is certainly feasible given that the shows are run from the computer), that only adds another 23 days before Thanksgiving. So I go from 10 days per song to 12. It's still pushing things!

I'll give it until I get back from a convention in mid-August. If the sale hasn't happened by then, I'll just move forward with standard lights for the mega-tree and LoR won't be getting any more of my business this season because I'll already be committed to the fallback plan.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in that kind of position. So LoR could easily find themselves in a situation where they release a new product but then have to wait until next year before they start seeing much in the way of sales from it. That's not a good position for a business to put itself in.

Guest wbottomley

aurickle wrote:

I'll give it until I get back from a convention in mid-August. If the sale hasn't happened by then, I'll just move forward with standard lights for the mega-tree and LoR won't be getting any more of my business this season because I'll already be committed to the fallback plan.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in that kind of position. So LoR could easily find themselves in a situation where they release a new product but then have to wait until next year before they start seeing much in the way of sales from it. That's not a good position for a business to put itself in.

What the hell is that?

I thought this was a hobby and not a business. Last time I checked, Summer begins around June 20th and ends around September 20th. So, in my book, we have plenty of time left for the sale.

I have nearly 800 real, not RGB, channels with over 150K lights. I start setting up things in late September. Don't give me the weather story.

So in other words, no sympathy here. It's a simple as this, get sequencing!

By the way, this is another troll post in the mix!

ADD: when is LOR obligated to have a sale? Last time I checked, they aren't!

aurickle wrote:

Well thanks to the weather here in MT, I start putting Christmas up the day after Halloween.

And I too start putting Christmas lights up the day after Halloween....

aurickle wrote:

The market for the new Cosmic Color devices is out there. A delayed release of these new devices shouldn't have too much of an effect on sales. (IMHO)

I agree with William, the delayed release of anything, software or hardware, shouldn't keep you from working on your display now.

aurickle wrote:

Looks like there will be more CCBs for the rest of us...

wbottomley wrote:

aurickle wrote:

What the hell is that?

I thought this was a hobby and not a business. Last time I checked, Summer begins around June 20th and ends around September 20th. So, in my book, we have plenty of time left for the sale.

I have nearly 800 real, not RGB, channels with over 150K lights. I start setting up things in late September. Don't give me the weather story.

So in other words, no sympathy here. It's a simple as this, get sequencing!

By the way, this is another troll post in the mix!

ADD: when is LOR obligated to have a sale? Last time I checked, they aren't!

It's a hobby for us. It's a business for LoR. And no, they're not obligated to put on a summer sale. However, it is the general consensus that we'll see the CCB's and CCF's come available for purchase at that time. I couldn't care less about the sale, but I would greatly like to include the CCB's in my display.

My point was not that LoR is obligated to put those items on sale. My point was that if they wait too much longer to introduce those items it will end up being too late for many of us to include them in our displays this year. Hence, they could well release a great new product to lackluster sales. And since LoR IS a business, that's not a good position to be in when introducing a new product.

So you've got 800 channels and 150K lights. Congratulations. That being said, would you be able to easily add 14,400 channels to each of nine songs between now and Thanksgiving? (48 strands, 100 bulbs per strand, 3 channels per bulb.) And even if you could do so relatively easily, would you be willing to start that effort now -- using SR2 -- without knowing if you'll even be able to have the needed lights in time?

I'm not trolling. I'm simply stating the realities for my particular situation. And I suspect that situation is shared by others.

By the way, while you might start setting up in September, I can't reasonably do so because I use the same space for Halloween. Forgive me for thinking it would be tacky to have a mega-tree in the middle of my jack o' lanterns. :D Please don't make the mistake of assuming that what works for you will automatically work for everyone else.

Many times in the past, items have been offered for sale that were not in inventory, they were a pre-order item. The CCRs, when first introduced, come to mind, I didn't receive the two I ordered until mid-October, but I was ready when they did arrive. The Servo-Dogs were another new product that was delayed on shipping, but the smart people that wanted to use them went ahead with their sequencing and were ready to plug them in when they arrived.

Having been around awhile, I see no reason to wait until you have the have the hardware in hand to begin sequenceing.

LOR will deliver the hardware, it is up to you to have your sequences ready to use it.

aurickle wrote:

Well thanks to the weather here in MT, I start putting Christmas up the day after Halloween.

I'm in the South, and I also start with the Christmas display as soon as I have the Halloween down.

Actually, I already have the mega-tree pole up (without lights) while the Halloween is still out.

I have already changed some of my sequences for the CCB's and I don't have any of the CCBs either, makes no difference