Hardware Updating

Guest guest

Hi Dan, et al:

I will be updating my green and blue versions of the CTB16D boards with the latest firmware. (Yes, I know green and blue use different software updates which I downloaded).

My question is, can you keep all the units wired together via CAT5 cable, and powered on, and be safe to update one board at a time, or should you disconnect the AC power from all other boards, except the one being updated?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

Hi Dan, et al:

I will be updating my green and blue versions of the CTB16D boards with the latest firmware. (Yes, I know green and blue use different software updates which I downloaded).

My question is, can you keep all the units wired together via CAT5 cable, and powered on, and be safe to update one board at a time, or should you disconnect the AC power from all other boards, except the one being updated?

Greg -- the firmware utility lets you select a single unit on the network, or state that only one unit is connected. When I updated my box (I only have one updatable box, the rest are CTB-08's) I used the "only one connected" method so I can't vouch for the other, but assuming it works as advertised, you should be able to do it "on the network".

-Tim

Thanks Tim and Don!

I thought it might be best to do one unit powered at a time, just in case.

It will be a little more work, but will go that route. Safety first!

Greg

I have 30 controllers that I plan on updating. My plan is to bring them into my computer room one at a time to update the firmware. This may take a little while but I'm afraid of the possibility of a problem if I try to to the update once they are installed and hooked up in the display.

Don wrote:

Though, if possible, it's really best to do the update with only one controller connected. Not always possible, but it is the best way.

Just out of sheer curiosity, are there known problems (or known potential problems) with doing the 'network' update?

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

Don wrote:
Though, if possible, it's really best to do the update with only one controller connected. Not always possible, but it is the best way.

Just out of sheer curiosity, are there known problems (or known potential problems) with doing the 'network' update?

-Tim

People have been known to have two units with the same ID in the network. This can cause problems. Also there is a setting in the firmware screen "Only one unit is attached" .... If you click that button and then start a firware upgrade in the network the result will be a bit messy.

LightORama wrote:

tfischer wrote:
Don wrote:

-Tim

People have been known to have two units with the same ID in the network. This can cause problems. Also there is a setting in the firmware screen "Only one unit is attached" .... If you click that button and then start a firware upgrade in the network the result will be a bit messy.

OK, so if I am sure all units have separate IDs, which I am, and if I do not click (or unclick to be prcise) that one unit only button, it is safe to leave them in the network?

The reason I ask, is that the first unit is within one hundred feet of the computer, but the next 4 nearest are 100 feet more than that.

So I was planning to leave only that first unit on (to be sure the signal can make it to the others), and then power only one controller at a time beyond that one to update their hardware.

In essence there would be 2 contollers powered up ,the first, and then sequentially each of the rest.

If, on the other hand, 200 foot total is not too long from the computer to the 16Ds for hardware updating, then I can leave that first contoller off, and just do one unit at a time..

Greg

Make sure you have the (unit selected above) button selected and you should be okay. However as mentioned if possible it is alway best (least risk of making a mistake) to do one at a time.