Light-O-Rama Forums

My first sequence!

LORi P

This is my first year using LOR. I know everyone says to start early, but I've done more lurking on the forum than sequencing. I have seen others who have posted that they already have several sequences finished... so I have felt a little behind. But I finished my first sequence today! Yippee! :P:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/user/miakittymeow2?feature=mhee

MikeH wrote:

Very good!

MikeH

Thanks Mike! I'm pretty excited that the sequence that has been half done for a long time is finally finished!!

LORi P wrote:

This is my first year using LOR. I know everyone says to start early, but I've done more lurking on the forum than sequencing. I have seen others who have posted that they already have several sequences finished... so I have felt a little behind. But I finished my first sequence today! Yippee! :P:D :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/miakittymeow2?feature=mhee

very impressive is this more than 32 channels? with rgb looks like alot more

james campbell wrote:

very impressive  is this more than 32 channels? with rgb looks like alot more

I've promised to limit my new obsession to 32 channels this year, though I am dying to have a megatree..... that's just gonna have to wait.

I only have 32 channels and no RGB. I have tried to make the most of my channels because 32 can get used up pretty quickly. This sequence actually only uses 29 channels:

Roof/gutters: 4 Channels (1W 1B 1R 1G)
Icicles: 1 Channel (1W)
Tall tree: 4 Channels (1W 1B 1R 1G)
Three clusters of 3 trees: 6 Channels (3W 1B 1R 1G)
Line of 5 trees: 14 Channels (5W 3B 3R 3G)

Thanks for all your kind words and support!
Lori

Guest Don Gillespie

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Wish mine looked that good my first year.
Great job!

Ditto

You did a great job, great use of all the channels you are using also :P

Dan Ancona wrote:

One done, what's song is next? good work.

Hi Dan,

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to figure out today. I am down to the "Coca Cola commercial" and "Mary's Boy Child". The Coca Cola one is pretty enticing because it is only a minute long. :P I'm trying to stay away from many of the very popular songs to animate, but that is difficult because all the veteran LORers have really done some awesome songs.

Lori

LORi P wrote:

I'm trying to stay away from many of the very popular songs to animate, but that is difficult because all the veteran LORers have really done some awesome songs.

And how many of YOUR potential viewers have seen or are going to see all the awesome songs we've all done? I don't mean to be critical, but I think you've got a lot to offer and I'd hate to see it derailed with that kind of trepidation. Each one of us is influenced to some degree by what others have done. When you take a song you like, even Wizards, and do your own original sequencing specifically for your display, you make it your own. It's not anyone else's, it's yours. Let your friends, family and viewers be the judge.

George Simmons wrote:

LORi P wrote:
I'm trying to stay away from many of the very popular songs to animate, but that is difficult because all the veteran LORers have really done some awesome songs.

And how many of YOUR potential viewers have seen or are going to see all the awesome songs we've all done? I don't mean to be critical, but I think you've got a lot to offer and I'd hate to see it derailed with that kind of trepidation. Each one of us is influenced to some degree by what others have done. When you take a song you like, even Wizards, and do your own original sequencing specifically for your display, you make it your own. It's not anyone else's, it's yours. Let your friends, family and viewers be the judge.

George, I can't agree more. Pick out some of your favorite tunes and go with it.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

LORi P wrote:

Georgre you said it perfectly, I got really tired of listening to the same 6 songs play over and over so I started going to the free sequence sites and downloaded the ones I liked and from that point I just started playing with the sequences to make them my own, not even family members know if there is anything wrong with the sequences only I would know and of course all the LOR forum memebers might be able to pick it apart, don't be afraid to take someone elses sequence and turn it into your own it will look great when your done. :)

Don Gillespie wrote:

George you said it perfectly, I got really tired of listening to the same 6 songs play over and over so I started going to the free sequence sites and downloaded the ones I liked and from that point I just started playing with the sequences to make them my own, not even family members know if there is anything wrong with the sequences only I would know and of course all the LOR forum memebers might be able to pick it apart, don't be afraid to take someone elses sequence and turn it into your own it will look great when your done. :P

I am trying to edit the length of songs I sequence to a maximum 2:30 minutes per song, so that I can do more songs... (Note this fist song that I did is about 1:53 long- as opposed to the full 4:15 version of the song.)

I just don't see how I could reasonably start from other people's sequences unless their layout is the same (or at least very similar to mine). Maybe there is a way, but if there is, I don't know what it is. And most sequences I have found do not include a layout. I think it would take forever to adapt other sequences to my layout.

As far as using people's sequences from the forum to get ideas, I have noticed, huh hmm, that you don't have a website or youtube/vimeo link in you signature, so that I can be inspired by your sequences. :cool:

LORi

Guest Don Gillespie

LORi P wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
George you said it perfectly, I got really tired of listening to the same 6 songs play over and over so I started going to the free sequence sites and downloaded the ones I liked and from that point I just started playing with the sequences to make them my own, not even family members know if there is anything wrong with the sequences only I would know and of course all the LOR forum memebers might be able to pick it apart, don't be afraid to take someone elses sequence and turn it into your own it will look great when your done. :P

I am trying to edit the length of songs I sequence to a maximum 2:30 minutes per song, so that I can do more songs... (Note this fist song that I did is about 1:53 long- as opposed to the full 4:15 version of the song.)

I just don't see how I could reasonably start from other people's sequences unless their layout is the same (or at least very similar to mine). Maybe there is a way, but if there is, I don't know what it is. And most sequences I have found do not include a layout. I think it would take forever to adapt other sequences to my layout.

As far as using people's sequences from the forum to get ideas, I have noticed, huh hmm, that you don't have a website or youtube/vimeo link in you signature, so that I can be inspired by your sequences. :cool:

LORi

Lori what I do is when I see anothers sequence that I like like I use the beat that they have already used, I might like some of the elements and ideas they put into their sequence I can use some of their ideas and incorperate them into my display, I might really like how they use the shimmer on one channel and it might fit really well with one of my elements, in reality I am redoing the sequence that they have done to fit my display to a T I find I can use more songs and I don't hear the same 6 anymore I am currently at around 44 sequences not including my 17 1/2 minute medly. as for a web site your right I don't have one I have however given all of my seqeunces to Mr. Bottomly they are all available on his web site, I am not that great on the computer so a web page is not something I am interested in, feel free to check out Williams web page and downlaod some of mine. ;) and really I am not that inspiring LOL

Lori.. reeeeeally nice! love the color shifting! You could do a megatree and go with the same color shift.. you'd just use the same 4 channels (RGBW) and just change it when you add more channels.. for 32, it looks really good!! For any amount of channels, it looks good! =)

If you know how to use copy and paste really good it goes really fast and easy. I have used 3-4 different sequences to make one, Take the parts you like and put them in your own. You can copy one channel at a time or many. If you like the mega tree in one and arches in another just copy and paste what you like. Might have to change some parts of it.

LORi P wrote:

I just don't see how I could reasonably start from other people's sequences unless their layout is the same (or at least very similar to mine).

Their layout doesn't have to be ANYTHING like yours!!!!

The one thing that is common is the beat of the song!!

What I do is a lot of copy and pasting...from theirs into mine. There might be some like elements (mini trees, arches, mega tree etc), but I look at their visualizer (which usually comes with someones else's sequence) as I play their sequence and look for something I like or I think will work for one of my elements in my display. I then copy and paste that into my new sequence.

Sometimes you use a few of their ideas (channels)...sometimes ALL of them...but either way it is a great starting off point to get your creativity flowing!!

So if any of us have a song you like, download that sucker and get to making it your own!!!!

PS: And NICE job on All I Want For Christmas!!! I have some songs that I want sequenced if you ever get bored with just 32 channels!!! LOL

Here is my All I Want For Christmas which I "stole" from someones sequence...

http://vimeo.com/21280597