Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween/Christmas poll lights

Arnoldc

And this is what it looks like completed. The face you are looking at is removable, there will be 4 screws holding it in..

On the other good news side is I have my new molds! New pieces to be cast tonight!

Attached files 252687=13756-Light.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnoldc

• jimswinder

• Ron Amedee

• BrownOut

Well.... If I told you guys how much it took to get this one piece... You guys would think I am crazy! I am using a rubber product for the mold instead of the previous silicone. (free, what do you want?) welllllllllllllllllllllll, this you have to use a mold release, which I have, and have been using before.. The neat thing that I didnt KNOW was it takes several layups to get the rubber "proofed". So, the pictures you are seeing is the 4th layup of the night. The older the mold gets, the better the piece will come out.
Also, you guys may get a kick out of this.. I am now putting a lid on the mold, with a hole in the center to release the pressure. I put foil on the lid which is made out of wood (this foam stuff sticks very well to wood, no matter what you do). poured that last layup of the night.. got the lid on... but you hear something.. oh c**p for got to put a hole through the foil.. BAM, got foam all over the place.. oh what a fun evening! lesson learned!

Attached files 252869=13779-IMG00642-20110715-2242.jpg

and....... here it is.. I still have some learning to do to make this look perfect.. The biggest thing is I need to re work the leg miter jig..

Attached files 252889=13782-IMG00645-20110716-1127.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm still having problems with the one piece molds. I will probably go back to the half version. The prep time is less, and the pieces look better In the end.
I think I can hide the seam line/ blend with a flat finish. Will keep on making the one piece version for a bit longer.

I finally got clean pulls today! I switched to a different mold release agent, and that has done the trick! Now time to start cranking these things out!
Im a very happy camper now!:cool:

Jeff Millard wrote:

Was trying to make an RGB pixel for these today. I need to order better green LEDs. The only green I had that was diffused is just an indicator and isn't bright enough. I've got some others that are bright but not diffused. I'll try a little sandpaper to see if that helps. I'll make a couple if it turns out OK and ship it out after I fit test it. Will it be easy to open to get a small square circuit board in it?

Jeff
EDIT: Update. I added a picture of some RGB pixels I already had but had forgotten about. This is exactly what I wanted to make. I didn't want to use individual LEDs but I've got them on hand so it's what I'll try. If it looks funky, I'll get some RGB LEDs from eBay and try again.
Jeff-

yes, I tried to design it so everyone can do their modifications to it as fit for their wiring requirements. One whole face is removable. I did try to make it so one can just screw all the legs to the top and bottom and be done with it, the problem is it is difficult to do this and keep square without the jig. So, I went back to that one panel deal. There is a 1" dia hole in the wood (needed it for the jig) in the wood. A quick hit with dremel tool with a cut off wheel will make quick work for whatever you need to do. The wood is only 1/8" thick, and foam from that point in.

Arnoldc wrote:

I finally got clean pulls today! I switched to a different mold release agent, and that has done the trick! Now time to start cranking these things out!

I fully understand you wanting to make these...and am ENVIOUS that you are able to create these great looking lights...but with all the time, effort and expense you have put into them, wouldn't it have been quicker and cheaper to buy some inexpensive outdoor wall lights from Home Depot??

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Mount/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvni/h_d2/Navigation?Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Attached files 253232=13821-b850abfc-c541-412b-9f38-adcf91ba6e46_300.jpg

jimswinder wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:

I fully understand you wanting to make these...and am ENVIOUS that you are able to create these great looking lights...but with all the time, effort and expense you have put into them, wouldn't it have been quicker and cheaper to buy some inexpensive outdoor wall lights from Home Depot??

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Mount/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvni/h_d2/Navigation?Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1
Well, I didn't like any of the styles for what I am wanting to do.. Another reason, I have 21 of these to make just to do my area. Yeah I have a lot of time and fusteration in this. But all in all it is a lot of fun. Plus, its mine.. Due to the industry I am in, I have the luxury of using my imagination, and when I can use my ideas instead of someone elses, it makes it one of a kind.

Arnoldc wrote:

Due to the industry I am in, I have the luxury of using my imagination, and when I can use my ideas instead of someone elses, it makes it one of a kind.

Good!!!

Don't let naysayers like myself deter you in any way!! ;)

While waiting for the cap and base to dry, I got the structure built. As you can see, I have 4 screws holding this side in. I hope this is easy enough access for one to get what they want in there.

Attached files 253283=13823-IMG00647-20110719-2127.jpg

This is the first finished one of the final modifications! It looks great! Granted there is some minor tweaks here and there, but that will come out in due time!
And yes, I have my table and plants strapped to the ceiling, I work in an anti gravity environment B)

Attached files 253291=13825-IMG00650-20110719-2220.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the latest sets of lights.. This last version allows one to fully disassemble the light fixture for ease of storage. Also, has a better looking glass in it. Im hoping to have one up and running by the weekend.

Attached files 255997=14059-IMG00680-20110803-2005.jpg

very nice....didn't realize how BIG they were (now that I see that hand next to them)

• 2 weeks later...