Light-O-Rama Forums

Servodog Output Power Supply

mrduncan

I just purchased a LOR Servodog for this year’s Halloween and Christmas shows. I plan to use RC type servo’s rated between 50 and 125 oz-in torque. I have not been able to from anything on the web indicated max current required for these types of servos. What are other Servodog users using for the servo output 6 VDC power supply? My first thought was to use a computer power (5 VDC).

I am using a 12V wall wart powering the servodog and letting the internal voltage regulators bring it down to the 5-6 volts needed for the servos. Not sure what the amperage that the internal voltage regs can deliver before they fry. So far they are working great !!!

Check out servo city for tech info, if you look at Hitec, or Futaba there is an overview of the power/speed to voltage. Then if you choose a servo there is more specific info about current draw on max load... http://www.servocity.com/index.html

As far as the servodog, It can be powered with as high as 14V. it has built in adjustable regulators that are set at 6V when shipped. It needs at least 6V to power the servodog. I use a 12V DC power supply, if you want to power 1/4 scale servos, and work them hard. they suggest using a 'y' harness, and powering the servo directly. also check out the servodog user guide.
http://www.LightORama.com/PDF/ServoDog_Man_Web.pdf

any more questions, just ask...:)

Denise Brunner wrote:

I am using a 12V wall wart powering the servodog and letting the internal voltage regulators bring it down to the 5-6 volts needed for the servos.  Not sure what the amperage that the internal voltage regs can deliver before they fry.  So far they are working great !!!

Hi Denise,
I would love to see pictures of the 6 servo face you were mentioning on a different thread. I had a lot of ideas for my servodog, but have not have time to build anything other than a talking skull. It would be inspiring to see what others are doing? Thanks:)

Servodog manual indicates 24 mA max per channel. I would think, most servos under full load would require more than 24 mA. So, I assume you would remove the S1/V1 factory jumper and connect a 6 VDC power supply directly to S1 or S2.

mrduncan wrote:

Servodog manual indicates 24 mA max per channel. I would think, most servos under full load would require more than 24 mA. So, I assume you would remove the S1/V1 factory jumper and connect a 6 VDC power supply directly to S1 or S2.

Ok, I am not an expert, and I'm sure one will chime in here.
but I think you're referring to the digital servo output. the servo header is split into 2, s1, and s2. each with a max of 1 amp. the small and medium servos can run off that. If you think you need more power, there is a 'Y' harness that plugs in between the servo header, and the servo.

Denise Brunner wrote:

Ron,

As soon as I can I will get some pictures up.

Denise

Thanks Denise,
I would love to see more servo related pictures, and info...
It only seems to come up around halloween.