poor sound from cd

Guest guest

I have recorded some songs from a cd to lor. One song is loud the next one is soft. I have rerecorded the song play with the recorder but when i use it in lor it's comes out soft. I have already junked one of my light show songs. Does anyone know why this is happing. First year at lor. Dan has already been a big help. A BIG THANK YOU Dan.

When LOR plays it uses the current volume settings on mixer. Check that the volume is set properlly.

When you say record I am not sure what that means. Do you mean Rip (copy the songs from the CD to audio files on the PC)?

On our support page there is a write up entitled How to prepare MP3 files for the Sequence Editor here is a link: http://lightorama.com/Documents/Audacity_Lame_128Kbps.pdf

It does have a section on equalizing volumes...

I have had good luck (along with Audacity) using MP3Gain. It will automatically equalize the volume on MP3's, it will do a single file or a folder. The link for it http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ As with anything it is always a good idea to make a backup before modifying the files, just in case...

Another vote for MP3 Gain. I've been using this for years on all of my MP3s.

The best part about it is it does a great job of leveling the "perceived" volumne. Most levelers adjust the volumn so the audio doesn't clip--so everything is adjusted down based on the single loudest point of the audio.

MP3Gain uses a more sophisticated formula so all the songs will sound--to the human ear-- normalized. This formula is based on one used by radio stations and other professional broadcasters.

bigjohn wrote:

I have recorded some songs from a cd to lor. One song is loud the next one is soft. I have rerecorded the song play with the recorder but when i use it in lor it's comes out soft. I have already junked one of my light show songs. Does anyone know why this is happing. First year at lor. Dan has already been a big help. A BIG THANK YOU Dan.

Another thing to keep in mind... The first time I ran my show and tuned my radio in to my chosen frequency, I had to REALLY turn the volume up to hear anything. Well, when I had plugged in my transmitter, I had simply plugged it into the subwoofer hole and left the main left and right computer speakers still plugged in. Now, when I run my shows, I still keep the transmitter plugged into the subwoofer spot and jut slip the main speakers out for the duration, so that the sound isn't being split off too many times.

sadayo wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind... The first time I ran my show and tuned my radio in to my chosen frequency, I had to REALLY turn the volume up to hear anything. Well, when I had plugged in my transmitter, I had simply plugged it into the subwoofer hole and left the main left and right computer speakers still plugged in. Now, when I run my shows, I still keep the transmitter plugged into the subwoofer spot and jut slip the main speakers out for the duration, so that the sound isn't being split off too many times.

If you are broadcast on FM, your music should sound *approximately* as loud as every other station at the same volume.

This is easy enough to test...just flip back and forth between your freq and a few other commercial stations. You'll notice all the other commercial stations will be *about* the same volume as each other, and yours should not be significantly different.

If anything, your station should be a tad bit softer--but as close as possible.

FM channels have a "saturation" point at which point the sound becomes muddy/distorted. Commercial stations have highly paid engineers that test, tune and monitor their broadcasts daily (in addition to much more expensive equipment).

The reason your audio should be a bit softer is that your audio (if ripped from a CD) probably has more dynamics so you need to leave some room.

If you audio is too soft, then FM noise begins to become a factor--and then you deal with everyone's individual car audio system which will add noise (if the audio is too soft).

Plus, there's just the perception from the people that are driving by listening to another station, then change to your channel when passing by your house only to have to adjust their volume because your staiton is barely audible (or so loud that it clips their stereo).

Use MP3Gain and Audacity!