Light-O-Rama Forums

Same Unit ID # on two controllers

bajantechie

Hi There,

Would there be any technical problems or conflicts if I use the same Unit ID# on two different controllers so they behave alike. (I am aware of copy & paste)

Thanks
Ron.

Guest Don Gillespie

Mountainwxman wrote:

No... but trouble shooting becomes an issue when things go wrong.

Copy & paste is the best option.

William John Bullard was asked this a year ago and his response was yes you can use the same unit ID# that way you have the same actions from one side of your yard to the other

Don Gillespie wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:

William John Bullard was asked this a year ago and his response was yes you can use the same unit ID# that way you have the same actions from one side of your yard to the other

Don,

That's what William was saying. You *can* run two unit's with the same ID. Heck, you can have 10 unit's with the same ID. However, troubleshooting becomes an issue.

There is at least one issue, which is that triggers may not work, or may not work properly.

With that said, as long as you're not using triggers, it will probably be fine. However, I don't think it's officially recommended, I don't think we've ever officially supported it, and I don't think we've ever said that it will continue to be fine in future releases of the software.

Guest Don Gillespie

Don wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Mountainwxman wrote:

Don,

That's what William was saying. You *can* run two unit's with the same ID. Heck, you can have 10 unit's with the same ID. However, troubleshooting becomes an issue.

thanks Don I thought thats what he meant I just remember John in a previous post saying he does this I agree the trouble shooting would be a night mare sorry William I should have read your post a little more closley

I do it also. I have 2 units set to the same unit ID and have never had any problems with it.

I not saying I will not ever have problems (as has been pointed out), but until I do I will continue to use the same unit ID.

BTW I actually have 2 LOR PC controllers set to the same unit ID(8), and also have 2 LOR DC controllers set to the same unit ID(22).

I ran the same ID on two units (front yard and back yard)never had a problem for 2 years of running. Will probably be running a couple more this year with the same ID.

Thomas

Guest wbottomley

Jeff Millard wrote:

Come to think of it, William has quite a few better ways.

Jeff

Starting a rumor is one of them. :D

I rather have everything on a different ID address. Because, when having lots and lots of controllers, you'll know which one is not working. I'm up to ID # 2F right now.

Hey,

You folks are awesome. And here I was thinking I am the only one trying to do this. Thanks for all the comments, there are much appreciated.

I am so happy I choose LOR, the tech support and forum help cannot be beat by any other.

Ron

Guest Don Gillespie

bajantechie wrote:

Hey,

You folks are awesome. And here I was thinking I am the only one trying to do this. Thanks for all the comments, there are much appreciated.

I am so happy I choose LOR, the tech support and forum help cannot be beat by any other.

Ron

Ron seeing your from Barbados we all want to try to help you that way when it gets down to to -40 we can come to your house and watch your display LOL :P

Don,

That would be no problem at all, I do understand those temperatures. But it makes for a pretty display in the snow.

You are all welcome to come on over and enjoy the warm sunshine, cool breezes and calm beaches. Since we don't have snow or mistletoe it's all about "Fun In The Sun"

You will surely have no time for my little display which is still in it's infancy. This is my third year with L-O-R and I am still learning a thing or two, but I am gaining a whole lot from you guys in this forum.

I would love to have some Caribbean Music in my display but I am not so good at programming yet.

Anyone up to the challenge of programming some "Caribbean Calypso Rhythm" LOL.

Have a great day all
Ron.

Attached files 248796=13513-RonLights_sml.jpg

Yea Mon !!! Aree !!!

Born in Antiqua...Raised in USA !!! Steel drums ROCK with the Bass lead !!!

Would be happy to do a song or two !!! Marley, George Linton..etc