Light-O-Rama Forums

How many CCRs will LOR handle?

DownTown

How many CCRs will a single LOR system be able to handle? If I wanted to put 20 of them in my display, that would be like adding 3000 channels to my existing 180ish. Will I have throughput issues? Would I have to add additional USB adapters for more segments? Inquiring minds need to know...

Thanks a lot.

D.T.

This is a very open question as there are a few things that can effect the bandwidth of the network when running CCRs

1: What refresh rate (timings) will you use to sequence with (50ms, 100ms etc.)

2: Will you be just using macros only and not actually sequencing the individual channels

3: Will all the CCRs be on at the same time

For me i had a general rule of no more than 4 to 5 CCRs per network, that way you guanantee that you shouldnt come across any network bandwidth issues, but on saying that you could get away with using all 20 CCRs in one network if you just used the macros or you could use more per network if your timings are not tight like 50ms or if the CCRs will not all be used at the same time. The best way is to play around and find the level that your happy with and then go with that. Not one solution here will suit all as some will get more per network.

edvas69 wrote:

This is a very open question as there are a few things that can effect the bandwidth of the network when running CCRs

My timings are typically .05 seconds.

2: Will you be just using macros only and not actually sequencing the individual channels

I had hoped to be able to use the superstar module of LOR when it comes out.

At times, yes, all will be on at the same time, sometimes doing the same thing, other times, doing different things.

For me i had a general rule of no more than 4 to 5 CCRs per network, that way you guanantee that you shouldnt come across any network bandwidth issues, but on saying that you could get away with using all 20 CCRs in one network if you just used the macros or you could use more per network if your timings are not tight like 50ms or if the CCRs will not all be used at the same time. The best way is to play around and find the level that your happy with and then go with that. Not one solution here will suit all as some will get more per network.

Another question - Suppose I have a bumch (say 10) CCR stripes running down the side of my house. If I use a macro that fills the CCR from one end to the other, and I start that macro on all 10 CCRs at once, will the macro finish on all 10 of them at the same instant? I guess the root of my question is, do the CCRs respond at the exact same rate to the same commands? This would be important if I were to program some chases running diagonally down across the grid of CCRs.

Thanks for your time.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

edvas69 wrote:

My timings are typically .05 seconds.

I had hoped to be able to use the superstar module of LOR when it comes out.

At times, yes, all will be on at the same time, sometimes doing the same thing, other times, doing different things.

Another question - Suppose I have a bumch (say 10) CCR stripes running down the side of my house. If I use a macro that fills the CCR from one end to the other, and I start that macro on all 10 CCRs at once, will the macro finish on all 10 of them at the same instant? I guess the root of my question is, do the CCRs respond at the exact same rate to the same commands? This would be important if I were to program some chases running diagonally down across the grid of CCRs.

Thanks for your time.

D.T.

I would tend to think so especially if using the same macro as the chip iniside the CCR sould all work at the same frequency , but im not 100% sure as i havent tested this but i would tend to think if there were any differences they would be very small and not really noticeable to the human eye.

I have 13 CCR's, and I use 2-USB485 network adapters
1 USB-485 for the LOR Controllers and the other is for the CCR's. I have had no issues with lag or false triggers on the CCR's

Thanks edvas69. I appreciate your time in answering me.

Assumptions and speculation and educated guesses are not good enough... I need cold hard fact. Maybe someone from LOR can answer my question about whether the CCRs operate in the exact same way, at the exact same speed, among a group of CCRs.

Again, thanks.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

Another question - Suppose I have a bumch (say 10) CCR stripes running down the side of my house. If I use a macro that fills the CCR from one end to the other, and I start that macro on all 10 CCRs at once, will the macro finish on all 10 of them at the same instant? I  guess the root of my question is, do the CCRs respond at the exact same rate to the same commands? This would be important if I were to program some chases running diagonally down across the grid of CCRs.

Thanks for your time.

D.T.

Last year I built 4 CCR matrix boxes and used mostly Macros with them. There were only a few times they got out of sync. So it does happen. But for my requirements it was close enough.
I sent the same chase macro and speed to all four and one would occasionally be a fraction of a second behind. It was always the same one too. So it may be correctable in the sequence, but I never got around to trying before I took them down.

Thanks for the replies Jeff and Bob. I wish I could take you up on your offer, Jeff, but I'll be in Wyoming then...

I know that Brian Bruderer with the Super Star Editor has made some nice sequences with 12 ribbons. He puts 6 ribbons per network. LOR supports 16 networks so that would be 96 ribbons. We have never tested that but we have run 32 ribbons on 4 networks and had no issues.

Dan

EDIT: I had a typo above. It was was 32 ribbons on 6 networks... 5,5,5,5,6,6

LightORamaDan wrote:

I know that Brian Bruderer with the Super Star Editor has made some nice sequences with 12 ribbons. He puts 6 ribbons per network. LOR supports 16 networks so that would be 96 ribbons. We have never tested that but we have run 32 ribbons on 4 networks and had no issues.

Dan

Great so where do I get this software ; )

PaulXmas wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Great so where do I get this software ; )

Only the demo version is available. It is being incorporated into the new LOR S3. http://www.superstarlights.com/

MikeH

dpavisic wrote:

So what do I need to run 3 networks? 3 USB adapters plugged into 3 differnt USB Ports?

That is correct. I would suggest USB Hub with a power supply That way you only use one USB on the PC and the Hub will supply the power to the adapters.

Dan

dpavisic wrote:

Now my next question is which adapters would you suggest? I currently plan to deploy 18 CCRs but am also thinking of adding 10 (possibly) CCBs?

The USB485B would probably do the job just fine. I can't see a reason why you would need the USB485-ISO.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got any idea how many CCR's one of the MP3 Show Director stand alone modules can drive please? My control net is remoted from my PC network far enough that I dont use a PC to drive the show.

Reading this thread has me a little nervous as I had intended to run 4 CCRs plus my ~200 normal channels off the show director. However, I now wonder if I am going to push it too far? (I dont really want to go to a PC driver solution for a number of logistical reasons).