Light-O-Rama Forums

DC Controller with Mighty Mini Flood

zman

I am trying to control a MM with a DC Controller. I have Ch1-8 powered with 12V to power the controller. Ch9-16 is powered with 24V to plug the MM into.

The MM R-G-B-W is using ch 9-12. I have the flood wired very simply using a CAT5 cord. Color for color, the solid wire is the + side, the striped wire is the - side.

Everything works fine, except the RED. There are 2 rows of LEDS per color in this fashion:

R1-G1-B1-W1-R2-G2-B3-W2

R1 does not light when the channel is turned on, only R2. All the other colors, both rows of LEDs light when the channel is turned on.

I think I toasted one DC controller trying to troubleshoot, I won't go into that process, but it was during this process that I found out the both rows of Red DO work. So I believe it is not the MM board itself.

The behavior has been the same on 2 DC Controllers. I have swapped out the CAT 5 thinking I had a bad pair, but the new cable behaves the exact same.

I took the wires and moved them to Ch13 to test with the same behavior, only R2 lights. I am baffled.

Any suggestions?

when you say you swapped the Cat5 cable, with what type did you swap it? cat5 cables come in two flavors, A and B wiring.. one pair is twisted, flipped between fingers (cant remember which)..

Hey zman, Do have a Multimeter with a diode checker to check your LEDs check a Green LEDs then a Red LED if the Red LED don't light up try changing polarity of the test leads to if the Red LED light up Last Year most of the Red LEDs, I got was made backward! :shock:

what happens when you bypass the controller and add power directly to the flood? do you get all your colors?

Also, what happens when nothing is plugged into the controller, you just supply voltage. Put a multi-meter on the terminals, does the voltage pass through with the sequence or hardware utility?

Test lights without controller, test controller without lights.

Hey guys, thanks for your input. I got this MM second hand. It came to me in working order, but stuff happens as we all know. I am convinced that this has either an issue with an LED or possibly the terminal block. Row 1 of the Reds lights up intermittently, and I can move the PCB around and get the lights to come on. For my purpose, which is a show and tell for our Mini, I can get this thing to work now.