Light-O-Rama Forums

help

cjackson

Guest guest

So you built as a kit, I assume. When you refer to "#7 and #16", assuming you are referring to the 220 ohm resistos on those two channels?

First off, you need to determine what went wrong to fry two resistors..replacing them will likely just cook them again.

Check for:

1. solder shorts

2. parts in wrong place

Provide a little more detail, and I'm sure we can help.

Guest guest

Kinda' tough for us to help with any solder issues seeing just the component side of the board.

Again, doublecheck, component by component, placement and value...caps, resistor networks, etc.

Did the resistors both fry the minute you applied power, or only after you put a load on that channel?

All other channels worked? Can you communicate with the board via the hardware utility?

If so, that points you towards those two channels specifically, as opposed to any common components.

A little more detail will go a long way towards helping you out..

Looking at your other posts about the boards you put together, and the problems you saw, suggests solder bridges/opens/etc...

If you've got a working board, put them side by side, component side, verify they match, then solder side, use a magnfier on the solder side, and look for issues.

Guest guest

I was wondering that myself, as the channel 7 triac looks a bit different from a coloration standpoint, but was thinking that might just be camera angle and flash/light reflection.....it would also suggest nothing else on the board worked...it was just a smoke show when powered up...

i,ll give a pic of the back tonight far as i can till the other channels work no fuses burn but can they be fix thanks

Guest guest

Worst case, LOR will fix it for you.

But..again...assuming those 2 resistors smoked the minute you applied power, you need to get to the root cause of that issue before applying power again.

So you were definitely able to communicate with the board and test the other channels?

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to say LOR came to the rescue. great custom service. i would never think going anywhere else. thank you again to everyone's help and to the team of LOR

Ok, so did you send the board in already and get it back? And if you have gotten in back, did you hear what the problem was? We like to share what the fix was so that maybe next time we all can advise the next poor soul who has the same problem.

Thanks

yes back already. the problem ,replaced processor and communication chip shorted out and replaced 2 burnt resistors. works ok thanks to LOR team.

cjackson wrote:

yes back already. the problem ,replaced processor and communication chip shorted out and replaced 2 burnt resistors. works ok thanks to LOR team.

Thanks cjackson for the feedback. Interesting that the comm chip, processor and the two resistors should all pop.