Light-O-Rama Forums

MINI LIGHTS SPARE BULBS

Guest guest

Although mini lights look alike, they aren’t. There are as many different voltages, physical sizes, socket types, wire lengths and colors as there are Christmas trees in the United States. Buying a spare set of lights is usually the easiest way to go.

If the bulb socket from one strand of lights to another strand is not the same, just pull the bulb from the base/socket and carefully place it into the socket of your choice.

Now you have a endless supply of spare bulbs, I rarely ever throw away a strand until I remove all the bulbs.

I have a few million spare bulbs. In boxes, cans, jars, bags you name it I have a bulb for it. Just don't know where it is.

Just keep all your spares as you build your projects and you too will be blessed by a never ending supply. Oh and fuses, I have enough to build a power substation.

Thanks Robin. :ornament:

I have always been saving bulbs, fuses, light socket and the plug ends of light strands given to me that have been spliced and used. Just seems that I end up replacing used bulb after used bulb. Reason to my quiry of bulk mini bulbs for sale.

Are the bulb testers, or strand troublshooters really the best way to find the culprit bulb. is there one better than another.

also, is the day after thanksgiving the best day to buy bulbs at a discount. i have a walmart close by. target is too far away.

thanks

I too just use bulbs from light sets -- either "retired" ones that take too much trouble to diagnose problems with, or new ones that I cannabalize just for the bulbs.

I actually usually throw the flashers away since I never use them. I have a bag of them "just in case"...

-Tim

I have found that the bulb tester works very well. Single strand lights that are clear can be visible inspected quickly for burned out lights prior to testing. Clear icicle lights, well my little workshop I have a place to hang them across to visible inspect the burnouts prior to testing.

To buying lights cheap. wait till Christmas and after for 50% to 75% discouts.:rudolph:

Here is a helpful tip:

Find someone who has a baby and feeds the child formula. Have them save the empty cans with the plastic lids. I have about 10 of these cans that have all my bulbs by color. Clear in one can, red in another and so on......... Makes it easy to find the color you need fast.

i assume the bulb tester is just like the ones you buy at cvs or wallgreens for $10.

btw, are you all replacing bulbs that have burned out causing the strand to not work at all, or are you replacing bulbs that are burned out and are only effecting one bulb.

rickharp wrote:

i assume the bulb tester is just like the ones you buy at cvs or wallgreens for $10.

btw, are you all replacing bulbs that have burned out causing the strand to not work at all, or are you replacing bulbs that are burned out and are only effecting one bulb.

Both. You need to replace the "one bulb is out" type because otherwise the other bulbs in that section will get more voltage/stress and burn out quicker.

-Tim