Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat songs - bittersweet

LORi P

I am a newbie. My first year using LOR will be 2011. I was sooooo excited to get back from a business trip last weekend and play with my shiny new controllers that arrived while I was gone!!! I was a little disappointed at first that it took longer than expected to hook up all the cords.... who can be patient when you want to get to the fun stuff???

By the end of the day Saturday, I had a small mega-tree set up in my basement and was experimenting away!

Then on Sunday, my excitement was dampened when I found out my cat passed away. I decided that I wanted to make a sequence in her honor. At first I thought I'd use a song from a Christmas CD where all the lyrics are cats meowing, but I did not really like that idea. Then I thought of a better idea.... "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

I thought I'd ask for input from this creative group about other possible 'cat' songs to use.....
Do you have any suggestions???

As a cat owner myself who recently last a cat who was with us for 10 years I feel your pain. I think anything you do would be great. after all it's your display. Maybe dedicate the who thing in your cats honor.

Amazon MP3 and search for jingle cats. I plan to use several for cats and dogs as our charity is the Arlington Animal Welfare League.

Don't forget this one: "Cat's Eye" from the movie of the same name. Although this one may be more suited to a Halloween display, it's basically just an instrumental (at least the version I have is) and it may be okay for Christmas, it does have a "jingly" type sound to it!

BTW: Sorry for the loss of your cat, we went through that Feb. 2009 when we had to put one of our purr buddy family members down. Simba was 16 and had gone into severe renal failure from diabetes. It's never easy to lose a very much loved pet, uhm, make that family member!

use to have a song called "Cat's in the ladle at the Silver Moon" sung to the music of "Cat's in the Cradle" about Chinese food!!

caniac wrote:

use to have a song called "Cat's in the ladle at the Silver Moon" sung to the music of "Cat's in the Cradle" about Chinese food!!

Wrong name Caniac, the song is called "Cats in the Kettle" and I wouldn't use that song in my display at all. A lot of folks think this song is by Weird Al, it isn't, but I forget who the original artist is, but he is a comedian.

No offense meant, however, most cat lovers I know do find that particular song offensive with a few exceptions.

And definitely NOT a song I'd recommend for a Memorial Tribute to a very loved cat (family member) that has passed on.

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:

Wrong name Caniac, the song is called "Cats in the Kettle" and I wouldn't use that song in my display at all. A lot of folks think this song is by Weird Al, it isn't, but I forget who the original artist is, but he is a comedian.

No offense meant, however, most cat lovers I know do find that particular song offensive with a few exceptions.

And definitely NOT a song I'd recommend for a Memorial Tribute to a very loved cat (family member) that has passed on.
yep, but how do i find that tune? back in the day i had a collection of this stuff, was called "party tapes" and you could only pick them up at the local gas station. grade B tunes and most x-rated but funny as hell.

Orville wrote:

LOL...That's why I edited (deleted) my original post. Had not read the whole post about Lori losing her beloved cat...

that's why it was probably inappropriate to suggest "Smelly Cat"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQfuzNGT58 :shock:

even though it is difficult to accept sometimes, death is a part of life, so why not bring some humor to it?

The only tears I want shed at my passing are tears from laughter...

jimswinder wrote:

Orville wrote:

LOL...That's why I edited (deleted) my original post. Had not read the whole post about Lori losing her beloved cat...

that's why it was probably inappropriate to suggest "Smelly Cat"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQfuzNGT58 :shock:

even though it is difficult to accept sometimes, death is a part of life, so why not bring some humor to it?

The only tears I want shed at my passing are tears from laughter...

Jim I agree with ya! I figure when I die, and if I could figure out a way to do it or have it done, just have one of my CTB16PC Controllers built into my headstone with an MP3 ShowTime Director and my favorite Halloween and Christmas songs sequenced on the SD Card, and then have it all charge up (solar powered) during the day and then my name, dates and if one is there, epitaph on the tombstone as well as the outline (front, back, top and sides) of the stone lined with RGB LED's (cosmic color ribbons maybe?), then when the sun goes down I could be the "life of the graveyard"! Could be one helluva spook party! LOL

Now how's that for novel use of an LOR CTB16PC controller and DC-MP3 Player?:shock:

Orville wrote:

Now how's that for novel use of an LOR CTB16PC controller and DC-MP3 Player?:shock:

Had thought of that also...a little mini tree...couple of arches...

they do have tombstones with video screens...could show a few videos of Christmas Shows of the past...

That would be so cool. I want a controller built into my casket so people can enjoy the lights when they come to view me before burial. I could pre-sequence it to the kids song "Do as I'm doing...follow, follow me!"

Stray Cat Strut, by the Stray Cats, would be cool.
And to the rest of you, I've seen your pictures, and myself included, I suggest a "closed casket"...:P

rstately wrote:

Stray Cat Strut, by the Stray Cats, would be cool.

Yea, I like that one, too.

I've also thought about Rum Tum Tugger from the musical CATS.
"When you let him in, then he wants to be out;
He's always on the wrong side of every door,
And as soon as he's at home, then he'd like to get about.
He likes to lie in the bureau drawer,
But he makes such a fuss if he can't get out."

------------
Thanks for all your suggestions but I probably won't use Cats in the Kettle or Smelly Cat for my tribute...

But I DO have a sense of humor.

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
use to have a song called "Cat's in the ladle at the Silver Moon" sung to the  music of "Cat's in the Cradle" about Chinese food!!

Wrong name Caniac, the song is called "Cats in the Kettle" and I wouldn't use that song in my display at all.  A lot of folks think this song is by Weird Al, it isn't, but I forget who the original artist is, but he is a comedian.

and they probably don't own the book, 101 uses for a dead cat

Dale W wrote:

Orville wrote:
caniac wrote:

and they probably don't own the book, 101 uses for a dead cat
roflmao

Had a friend that was allergic plus simply didn't like the messiness of cats so she bought several "flat" cats for around her house (cardboard cutouts of cats).