Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Power supply for mini director


martinmc

Recommended Posts

I am having a hard time tracking down a 9 volt power supply for my mini director. I checked my bag of old wall warts and i found a 9 volt supply but it was rated at 165 milliamps.

Would this transformer be too much for the Mini director to handle,(manual states 50 milliamps) any leads on were to get a 9 volt wall wart with a rating of 50 milliamps would be appreciated, Or should i not be too concered about the mA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

martinmc wrote:

I am having a hard time tracking down a 9 volt power supply for my mini director. I checked my bag of old wall warts and i found a 9 volt supply but it was rated at 165 milliamps.

Would this transformer be too much for the Mini director to handle,(manual states 50 milliamps) any leads on were to get a 9 volt wall wart with a rating of 50 milliamps would be appreciated, Or should i not be too concered about the mA.


I'm NOT recommending that you use a larger miliamp wal-wart. However I will relate my experiences with them.

I have used wal-warts of various voltages (3v, 5v, 9v, 12v and even 24v) with more miliamps than the item I was using it with required. Like saisd this is just my experience with them, but I've never had anything fail using MORE miliamps than suggested/required, HOWEVER, I have had items NOT WORK that the Wal-Wart was LESS than the miliamp rating. Example: Had a 12VDC set of lights, required 150miliamps, tried using a 12VDC wal-wart that only had a 100miliamp rating and it wouldn't even power up the string at all, ended up using a 12VDC wal-wart with a 300miliamp rating, been using it for over 6 years on that same light string, no issues to date.

But the final choice is up to you if you want to try and risk it with a larger miliamp rating, just seems to me as long as the voltage for the item is the same, miliamps that are a bit higher are ok, but lower won't work. Again, just my expereince with all the wal-warts I use for a lot of things. And I use a lot of OLD JUNK DRAWER Wal-Warts I've saved from other projects or non-working items that used them.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are your wal-warts regulated or unregulated? Big factor...I've seen wal-warts vary greatly in design, specs, and reliability.

Ratings are max, so using one above the desired current requirement should be no issue at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mA rating is the minimum required. As long as the voltage is correct, you can use the same or larger mA rating. The only place it becomes an issue is that if the device drawing power goes through a catastrophic failure, that failure can be more catastrophic, due to the power available.

But, for example, most portable GPS units only need a few hundred mA to operate, but get plugged into cigarette lighter outlets that are fused at 20,000mA, and fed from batteries that may be capable of supplying 25 times as much current. And, my recollection is that each controller makes more power available than the mini director needs, and if you have it connected to a chain of controllers, it then may have several times more available than it needs..

Again, the voltage is what needs to match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-klb- wrote:

The mA rating is the minimum required. As long as the voltage is correct, you can use the same or larger mA rating. The only place it becomes an issue is that if the device drawing power goes through a catastrophic failure, that failure can be more catastrophic, due to the power available.

But, for example, most portable GPS units only need a few hundred mA to operate, but get plugged into cigarette lighter outlets that are fused at 20,000mA, and fed from batteries that may be capable of supplying 25 times as much current. And, my recollection is that each controller makes more power available than the mini director needs, and if you have it connected to a chain of controllers, it then may have several times more available than it needs..

Again, the voltage is what needs to match.


That's what I thought too, but didn't want to tell them to that higher miliamaps were safer, because I just wasn't 100% on that, and would rather leave it up to their discretion.

But I *WOULD* also recommend them getting a multimeter to verify the voltage output of the Wal-Wart!

I've bought some brand new that should have been 9VDC, but had an output of 13-15VDC! So now, before I even connect a wal-wart to anything (unless it was pre-supplied with the item) I always test them for voltage output. And most often, the darn things don't tell you if they are "regulated" or "unregulated", at least not that I've found.

And I think the unregulated ones are the ones that may shoot the voltages over the posted limits on the casing. Only way I've been able to know for sure is by connecting them to a multimeter, and watching the voltage output for a bit, sometimes the volts are higher when first connected, dead giveaway, or it may take a 15-20 minute watch(warm-up of the adapter) of the meter to catch it "spiking" the voltage up above what it says it is.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-klb- wrote:

The mA rating is the minimum required. As long as the voltage is correct, you can use the same or larger mA rating.

Again, the voltage is what needs to match.

Dan confirmed that with me in an email a couple years ago when I asked him the exact same question with the mini-director.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help everyone,

I will get around to wiring the mini director later today, along with my new controllers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although klb gave you good info. Let me try to explain this from a different angle. As long as the supply be it battery or wall wart is of the same voltage rating as the device. Then the only other consideration is that the supply has enough current available.

Say you have a mini director that needs 100mA. Well a 50mA supply is not going to cut it. But anything over 100mA is going to work. The supply can not force the device to swallow more than the 100mA.

It is the load or device that determines how many mA or Amps that will be drawn from the supply. So, again our only concern is that the supply has enough ass or rump to supply the device with it's demand of the supply to supply the current. (Ya I know the last line is a bit crazy with the number of times I used the word supply)

I hope that this helps someone who like me thinks upside down unlike the rest of the herd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Max-Paul wrote:

Although klb gave you good info. Let me try to explain this from a different angle. As long as the supply be it battery or wall wart is of the same voltage rating as the device. Then the only other consideration is that the supply has enough current available.

Say you have a mini director that needs 100mA. Well a 50mA supply is not going to cut it. But anything over 100mA is going to work. The supply can not force the device to swallow more than the 100mA.

It is the load or device that determines how many mA or Amps that will be drawn from the supply. So, again our only concern is that the supply has enough ass or rump to supply the device with it's demand of the supply to supply the current. (Ya I know the last line is a bit crazy with the number of times I used the word supply)

I hope that this helps someone who like me thinks upside down unlike the rest of the herd.


That's what I thought about the mA rating too. But I've opened my mouth in the past from other experiences, or "old school" ways that I had learned, and then often gotten my foot in mouth.

So I wasn't gonna put it as "do it" since I wasn't really 100% on this one, and then have that happen again. LOL

Which seems to be the norm for me at times.:P:shock::P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Connected it up yesterday, used a voltage meter to find the postive wire and it worked first time. It is a 9 volt unit so i have no concerns about it, thankyou.

I also mananged to get my 3 controllers wired up and tested, so in the next couple of days i will actually connect up some lights and see how my sequences are coming along. I can see many hours ahead in front of the moniter, now if i could only turn my brain off, like the lights i would be fine !!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

martinmc wrote:

ing along. I can see many hours ahead in front of the moniter, now if i could only turn my brain off, like the lights i would be fine !!!!!!!

Isn't that called "Sleep"?:)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orville wrote:

martinmc wrote:
ing along. I can see many hours ahead in front of the moniter, now if i could only turn my brain off, like the lights i would be fine !!!!!!!

Isn't that called "Sleep"?:)


When the ideas are flowing, I can lay there in bed at 3AM and can't get the brain to turn off. "Sleep" doesn't happen at that point.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Orville wrote:
martinmc wrote:
now if i could only turn my brain off, like the lights i would be fine !!!!!!!

Isn't that called "Sleep"?:)


When the ideas are flowing, I can lay there in bed at 3AM and can't get the brain to turn off. "Sleep" doesn't happen at that point.



yes, I know. I have the same problem. I was just putting tongue in cheek on that reply.:cool:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orville wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Orville wrote:
martinmc wrote:
now if i could only turn my brain off, like the lights i would be fine !!!!!!!

Isn't that called "Sleep"?:)


When the ideas are flowing, I can lay there in bed at 3AM and can't get the brain to turn off. "Sleep" doesn't happen at that point.



yes, I know. I have the same problem. I was just putting tongue in cheek on that reply.:cool:


The smiley you used in that reply clearly has his tongue sticking out (not "in cheek"). :(
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...