Light-O-Rama Forums

cat 5 wire, how close to the 12-2 extention cords and radio sign?

Guest guest

I have to run two 12-2 extenstion cords, i think i need 12-2 cords, out ot my front yard, with one cat5 wire, that will service two 16's. should i be concerned about how close the cat wire is to the extension cord. can they practically lay on each other?

2nd question:
the Show Editor has a background tab. i am considering it for lighting my radio sign, instead of having the radio channel on in each sequence. since there are no help files for the "Background" tab, i am not sure but guess its the best place to turn on adn off the radio sign. although i prefer to use that channel for a star atop the christmas tree, and maybe use a cheap timer for the radio sign. any thoughts.

thanks

rickharp wrote:

I have to run two 12-2 extenstion cords, i think i need 12-2 cords, out ot my front yard, with one cat5 wire, that will service two 16's. should i be concerned about how close the cat wire is to the extension cord. can they practically lay on each other?

2nd question:
the Show Editor has a background tab. i am considering it for lighting my radio sign, instead of having the radio channel on in each sequence. since there are no help files for the "Background" tab, i am not sure but guess its the best place to turn on adn off the radio sign. although i prefer to use that channel for a star atop the christmas tree, and maybe use a cheap timer for the radio sign. any thoughts.

thanks

1) No worries.

2) With LOR 1.5, it might be easier to simply program the "radio channel" in with your regular sequences. Simply make the entire channel "on" and use it throughout the night.

That said, a cheap timer would save you the programming, and earn you an extra channel. If you are short on channels, this is the way to go.

Don wrote:

2) With LOR 1.5, it might be easier to simply program the "radio channel" in with your regular sequences. Simply make the entire channel "on" and use it throughout the night.

Don, my instinct is to build an animated sequence, for just the radio sign, being on, and add that sequence to the "background" show. that way, it would appear to run the entire length of show. my worries is if i control the sign with via the musical sequences, i may see a slight blink inbetween sequences.

also, what are some of the reasons the pc looses the connection to the controllers. is it in the software, or in the wire run, or a loose or bad connection. it seems like my show runs or stays connected for 2-3 days, and then for no reason, looses the connection. i am still trying to determine when and what causes it. i did recently update the firmware, and am test running it inside now, versus the long run for the halloween show. i'll keep expermenting, just thought i'd inquire.

rickharp wrote:

also, what are some of the reasons the pc looses the connection to the controllers. is it in the software, or in the wire run, or a loose or bad connection. it seems like my show runs or stays connected for 2-3 days, and then for no reason, looses the connection. i am still trying to determine when and what causes it. i did recently update the firmware, and am test running it inside now, versus the long run for the halloween show. i'll keep expermenting, just thought i'd inquire.

Off the top of my head ...

Does the LOR Control Panel stay running? If that process dies, so does communication.

My other theories would be on a loose connection somewhere.