Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Name Integrity

Guest guest

Hey Gang!

If I had known from the git go, that I would have to change the channel configuration, I would have set up the configuration first...

I went into every sequence and assigned 01.1 to Channel one, 01.2 to Channel two, etc.. Now, I have no clue as to rename the channels in the sequence back to the way they were so I can reference the lights...

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but if I redo each channel name in the sequence, as it's assigned to LOR (16) then, export the configuration, can I just import the config to other sequences and not loose the channel assignments?

(Did I loose you? The seasoned LOR'ers might know what I'm talking about)...

EAB wrote:

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but if I redo each channel name in the sequence, as it's assigned to LOR (16) then, export the configuration, can I just import the config to other sequences and not loose the channel assignments?

In more general terms...

If you have all your songs sequenced on the exact same list of channels in the exact same order --AND--
You fix one of your songs to have the correct LOR assignments (and then go back to fix the naming that was destroyed):

Yes, you can export it from that song, and import the channel config and resave the rest of your songs to correct them.

I've done it myself. Works great.

I had wondered about channel naming convention, but just banged through it and established it before working on my first song. I settled on a short-name, light color, and assigned channel in the name:

MTL1-W(7.1) for Mini-Tree, Left, 1, White, Controller 7, Channel 1

When a channel covers more than one item, it's:

MTL1,3,5,7,9-B(3.15)

This way I can group them in the grid one way, but lay them out physically (to be connected to the closest controller, and to better balance amp draw) in a different way.

Haven't really given much thought to when I change things. It's my first year with LOR, I never considered planning for change.

Moving Target in NC

EAB wrote:

Cool....

So, I'll just pick one sequence, rename it, export it and import the config into the rest of the sequences without loosing the config... Right?

Yep!!!

That's it.

I actually name my channel configs by date (this shows me the latest channel config built for that season). Because I have different seasons to run, I can change or go back to an earlier channel config depending on how many controllers I use for that season or the config of the lights and use that particular channel config. It's that easy.

Tom