Light-O-Rama Forums

Watts Up Pro , Alternative

Guest guest

I just obtained a"Kill A Watt" Electricity Usage Monitor, from my local, Harbor Freight, store.
Reg price $29.99, on sale for $24.99. It works esentially the same as Watts Up Pro, and is considerably less in price.
It also can be obtained online with them.

GaryBo wrote:

I just obtained a"Kill A Watt" Electricity Usage Monitor, from my local, Harbor Freight, store. Reg price $29.99, on sale for $24.99.

I also got one some months back, somewhere in that price range. Based on my measurements so far, it looks like my display is going to average somewhere around 100-150 watts of power for all the lighting. The display is 99.99% LED, with regular bulbs acting as two projector lights (those two bulbs alone will account for half of the power consumed... 40 watts each is what the Kill-A-Watt is telling me).

When it is all hooked up, I'm going to use the Kill-A-Watt to...

1. Determine 100% that I can put all of my LORs on a single outlet [just to say I did]
2. Determine what the electricity usage (avg and peak) so I can publish it
3. Let it run for 24 hours and get a true daily measurement of usage and cost

So far, my tests seem to indicate that the lights in the display will eat as much energy as leaving a large tube TV running, or leaving a home computer on.

BTW... if you get a Kill-A-Watt or another one of these measuring devices, be sure to measure your refrigerator and/or freezer over a period of time. My refrigerator read as somewhat inefficient... until I cleaned its coils.