Light-O-Rama Forums

Thoughts on Rainbow Wall Runner

ogamoga

I think it would look great. I am doing a bit of research on similar products for a wash effect as well. Your garage doors will look good for sure. Phillips Color Kenetics is another version of this type of lighting, but I believe is going to be more expensive to incorperate.

I was looking at the rainbow wall runners also and purchasing the rainbow brain assembly that Lights On Manor sells. The price isn't too terribly expensive, but there are some questions regarding this product that someone can answer.

I know the product is a DMX product, so an addaptor will have to be added into my LOR network, right?

The "brain says that it has 5 ports and that each port will support 5 RWR's, so that's 25 total per board. But does that allow me to do chase sequences through the ports (all lights on port 1 do the same effect always) or can the DMX signal control all 25 lights individually? I am very new to the DMX concept.

I believe that you can also use the LOR DC board (CMB16D) to operate the Rainbow Wall Runner - they need three 12v DC channels, one for each colour of LEDs. The CMB16D is a 16 channel device, and can therefore operate five RGB type devices, leaving one spare channel.

Regards,

Alan.

Edit: I believe if you use the Rainbow Brain, all devices connected to the first channel (for example) will operate at the same time - the reason five units per channel is specified, is the maximum loading of the channels.

I'll jump in here...

The Rainbow Brain understands DMX and only DMX. That means you will need some sort of device to speak DMX to it. If you are using LOR's equipment, you currently need the iDMX. However, Dan has said that a new cheaper DMX adapter is on the way. With the iDMX, you will need a XLR-Cat-5 adapter. (Available in the Accessories section of the store.) From there you just use cat-5 cabling to connect your DMX devices.

Each Rainbow Brain is really just a DC controller that we have put the ports on to make it extremely easy to plug and ply your lights. Each port does the same thing. So, for example...if you put 2 wall runners daisy chained on the same port they will create the same color/effect. However, each port can do its own thing.

As a little insider information...If all goes to plan (and it seems to be) we will be fully switched over the Seasonal Entertainments new website this weekend and the first of two pre-sales should begin on Monday. We have made a few changes to the lights that hopefully everyone likes. The second pre-sale will be in the summer at some point with the new lights we will have this year...I hope :D

ogamoga wrote:

I am thinking about useing 6 RWR to color my 2 garages...2 for the small one and 4 for the big one...They will be hung from the eve above. Thoughts on the product/idea? Thanks

Ben

I was thinking about doing something very similar this year too. I used some rainbow floods/spots this past year for some house wall washes, but was thinking that RWRs might be better for the garage door application, but admit that I am nervous having not seen them for a similar application. I too would be interested in others opinions and in seeing any pics/videos that anybody might have. I just used a DC board this past year and it was pretty easy.

Very interested in seeing and learning more about the upcoming upgrades, Greg!

Ponddude wrote:

The second pre-sale will be in the summer at some point with the new lights we will have this year...I hope :D

Does this mean the first pre-sale will not have new lights.....and if that is true...how much would it be worth it to wait till summer

Donald Puryear wrote:

I have several of the RWR, they worked great for my halloween display. I will try this weekend to set up a wall wash demo and post pictures.

That would be greatly appreciated. Would also love closeups of your RWR's and mounting if possible.

Thanks Greg,

A chaper alternative to use DMX would be nice, but I know that ball is out of your court. It seems like your led stuff is pretty plug n play.

You cleared some things up for me for sure. I am looking at whether to go with something like RWRs or RGBs but when these guys start talking about how RGBs hook up to LOR I get lost.

So everyone... bang for the buck is RGB or DMX/RWR the way to go?

I keep hearing that RGB frees up channels, but I don't understand how.

NickByrd wrote:

Thanks Greg,

A chaper alternative to use DMX would be nice, but I know that ball is out of your court. It seems like your led stuff is pretty plug n play.

You cleared some things up for me for sure. I am looking at whether to go with something like RWRs or RGBs but when these guys start talking about how RGBs hook up to LOR I get lost.

So everyone... bang for the buck is RGB or DMX/RWR the way to go?

I keep hearing that RGB frees up channels, but I don't understand how.

When you say "RGB" what do you mean? Do you mean Greg's Rainbow products connected to a LOR DC controller (rather than DMX), which I suspect is the route that most go, or do you mean the new RGB LOR products (CCF, CCBs, etc) that are coming out this year?

I personally went the Rainbow Flood/spot route this past year using the LOR DC controller, and was very pleased, which is why I am planning to expand my Rainbow use this year. I didn't see how DMX could save any money (unless you already had a DMX setup) compared to just going the DC card route.

Surfing4Dough wrote:
When you say "RGB" what do you mean? Do you mean Greg's Rainbow products connected to a LOR DC controller (rather than DMX), which I suspect is the route that most go, or do you mean the new RGB LOR products (CCF, CCBs, etc) that are coming out this year?

I personally went the Rainbow Flood/spot route this past year using the LOR DC controller, and was very pleased, which is why I am planning to expand my Rainbow use this year. I didn't see how DMX could save any money (unless you already had a DMX setup) compared to just going the DC card route.

CLARIFICATION:

Sorry. Still very new to alot of the terminology. I was talking about the CCB's CCR's etc. Also the strings that response-box.com has. I like the idea of being able to do chases within a string or chase a wall wash across a house, but don't want to break the bank in doing so. The strings seem great for a mega tree (cut down on weight and infinate color and patterns) also.

It just seems like the way to go if it isn't TOO complicated or expensive.

[line]

PS: I saw the demo video on Greg's webpage and it looks great. Greg what is your recomendation for coverage (units per feet) The front of my house has about 90 feet to cover (YIKES)!!!!:shock:

NickByrd wrote:

CLARIFICATION:

Sorry. Still very new to alot of the terminology. I was talking about the CCB's CCR's etc. Also the strings that response-box.com has. I like the idea of being able to do chases within a string or chase a wall wash across a house, but don't want to break the bank in doing so. The strings seem great for a mega tree (cut down on weight and infinate color and patterns) also.

It just seems like the way to go if it isn't TOO complicated or expensive.

[line]

PS: I saw the demo video on Greg's webpage and it looks great. Greg what is your recomendation for coverage (units per feet) The front of my house has about 90 feet to cover (YIKES)!!!!:shock:

The expensive part is probably what will be holding me back from the CCBs for now.

The spec sheet for the Rainbow flood indicates about a 20ft coverage, which I would say is accurate. I got about 15' myself but only had the light 3 feet from the house.
http://www.christmasonmanor.com/pdf/RFL%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

Alright, let me start at the top here:

Does this mean the first pre-sale will not have new lights.....and if that is true...how much would it be worth it to wait till summer

The new lights we will have will NOT be including in this pre-sale. Right now, the scheduled lights to be released are a much brighter and powerful Rainbow Flood will be released. We are working with an enclosure manufacturer and the the light will be fully waterproof in an enclosure. All the component electronics will be included on board and the light will feature waterproof connection. The light also includes 54 .5 watt Superflux LEDs, which means this light will rival any light out there. We also plan to release the new Blizzard RGB light, which is also controlled by DMX. I don't know yet if we will include any we else that we are including in this pre-sale, but nothing is out of the question.

Donald Puryear wrote:
I have several of the RWR, they worked great for my halloween display. I will try this weekend to set up a wall wash demo and post pictures.

That would be greatly appreciated. Would also love closeups of your RWR's and mounting if possible.

Once the new site is up we have a whole page setup with a lot of different pictures of the lights. I am hoping to have it up this weekend.

I would expect new DMX adapter to become available by the summer sale as Dan has said it is ready. Also, don't forget they are also releasing an ethernet based DMX system as well which really will open up the RGB capabilities we release.

PS: I saw the demo video on Greg's webpage and it looks great. Greg what is your recomendation for coverage (units per feet) The front of my house has about 90 feet to cover (YIKES)!!!!

Last year's floods easily covered a wall space that is 20ft across. This years floods are even better!! We redesigned the boards and have a brand new supplier of LEDs. These LEDs are 100% better, as far as quality and they are 4 times brighter in light output. The new floods are incredible! I am hoping the wind dies down here in NJ and I will get outside and take some pics/vids of the new floods in action. Those LEDs will be used in all the Rainbow lights, including the wall runners and the new design of the spotlight.

Can you expand a little bit on the improvements to the rainbow wall runners as that is what I am thinking about useing...also what would the price diffrence be between the curent product on this sale and the new product on the later sale as far as the wall runners go

Great news from Greg!

RFs were one thing I just never got implemented last year..I have one in an enclosure, 4 more that need to be put into enclosures...honestly, after realizing I had to double them up to get the brightness I wanted, and with everything else going on, I had to put them aside for this first year display.

I for one would likely put the old ones on the shelf, and wait for the new ones..hoping the cost difference isn't extreme.

So while the new RFs won't be in the pre-sale, will they be available for purchase soon, or at least before the summer sale?

The only changes to the current Rainbow lights are these:

-We added the ability to not use the modular jacks and instead use waterproof pigtails. This will give you the ability to add another light in the daisy chain.
-We also changed the LEDs that are used in all the lights. They are a 2 chipped LED, which means they put out a lot more light than the originals.

I got the website up and am just having some database issues I am trying to work through with the store. All the pricing will be posted today as I expect to have everything on sale today...at some point.:D

Hang with me!! I should have mentioned that the store is moving to a different site. GoDaddy has been having database issues for about 4 days now however they have been really great working with me.

Its coming.....