Light-O-Rama Forums

Tech Q: What is the duration of each individual twinkle event?

Guest guest

Say I'm covering a 1 second block with a twinkle. Or that I'm coverting 10 .1 second blacks with a twinkle. How many times or how often is the decision made to randomly turn off or on a circuit?

Don wrote:

Perhaps looking at my Coca-Cola video will help. At the very beginning the mini-trees have a twinkle command for .66 seconds.

I'm looking at your sequence now. Perhaps I phrased my question badly, but let us use it as an example.

In Don's video, he has a twinkle command for .66 seconds.
QUESTION: How many times can a circuit potentially turn off and on, as a twinkle, during that .66 second event?

jmccorm wrote:

QUESTION: How many times can a circuit potentially turn off and on, as a twinkle, during that .66 second event?

Well, let’s see.

Electrically the shortest time a light could be on would be 120 th of second or .0083 seconds. So the quickest for on and off would be .0166 seconds. So in .66 seconds this would potentially be 39 times.

In this case you would see the equivalent of Shimmer. But since Twinkle is a random on and off, this number would be less.

ErnieHorning wrote:

jmccorm wrote:

Well, let’s see.

Electrically the shortest time a light could be on would be 120 th of second or .0083 seconds. So the quickest for on and off would be .0166 seconds. So in .66 seconds this would potentially be 39 times.

In this case you would see the equivalent of Shimmer. But since Twinkle is a random on and off, this number would be less.

[nod]. But a twinkle doesn't make a decision to turn off an on at every 1/120th of a second. It is much more 'sticky'. When a twinkling circuit it flipped either way, it is held in that position for a length of time before there is another round of circuit flipping inside of the firmware.

What I'm trying to figure out is the delay (guess: .1 seconds?) before the firmware holds a new election for which circuits will be on and which circuits will be off for the next round of changing inside of a twinkle. The delay between elections isn't 1/50th or quicker. It is a more human perception friendly number.

jmccorm wrote:

What I'm trying to figure out is the delay (guess: .1 seconds?) before the firmware holds a new election for which circuits will be on and which circuits will be off for the next round of changing inside of a twinkle. The delay between elections isn't 1/50th or quicker. It is a more human perception friendly number.

It looks like 1/10th of a second to me also, which would 12 zero crossings or 6 full cycles. It would make sense.

The decision is made every 1/120 of a second. However there are some minimum on and off times on an individual circuit. I do not recall those values as far as the Max and Min on time and Max and Min off time.

LightORama wrote:

The decision is made every 1/120 of a second. However there are some minimum on and off times on an individual circuit. I do not recall those values as far as the Max and Min on time and Max and Min off time.

I've got a fairly lengthy flicker sequence that I need to end with a fade-down combined with a flicker. So I was going to manually code it all in. I'm just trying to get some timings that'll match what the firmware would be doing on its own so I can plug it into the sequencer.