Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Renards with LOR...

Donny M. Carter

I've been looking around and found that I could gain a ton of channels pretty cheap using renard boards. I could go the route of sequence in LOR and convert to Vixen. I could also sell all my LOR stuff and go straight Vixen using renard. I really DO NOT want to switch from LOR, just looking for the most channels for the buck. Thanks for any insight.
Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

I've been looking around and found that I could gain a ton of channels pretty cheap using renard boards. I could go the route of sequence in LOR and convert to Vixen. I could also sell all my LOR stuff and go straight Vixen using renard. I really DO NOT want to switch from LOR, just looking for the most channels for the buck. Thanks for any insight.
Donny

If you sell all of your LOR, controllers please email me at ny_yankee_25@yahoo.com. And I'll buy them all, sight unseen!

Well, after downloading Vixen I think I will stick with LOR. It looks like i'm headed in the direction of using Renards with my idmx. Just still not sure of the savings building Renard boards vs LOR boards. If anyone has experience in this area please let me know. Thanks again.
Donny

You can use your idmx, or use xlights ... which can play existing LOR sequences on multiple networks (without an idmx). You would need a dmx dongle if you didn't use the idmx dongle.

I'm sure Xlights has secured all the necessary legal rights to LOR's protocol.:shock:

Yeah, right....

I think I will get me a Renard board and play around with it. Does use channels in DMX just like any other fixture? Alsois there a limit as to how many boards I can use?

I'm sure Xlights has secured all the necessary legal rights to LOR's protocol.

Obviously not, but Dan didn't build LOR on being overly proprietary and has always been very open to compatibility.

LOR controllers also support DMX so i cant see a reason to get rid of them.

Dan has also mentioned cheaper DMX options and support for S2 so it may be worth waiting to see what comes out.

Dan any info on proposed time frame for LOR DMX support and options?

edvas69 wrote:

LOR controllers also support DMX so i cant see a reason to get rid of them.

Dan has also mentioned cheaper DMX options and support for S2 so it may be worth waiting to see what comes out.

Dan any info on proposed time frame for LOR DMX support and options?

Mid year on new, less expensive DMX support when you run a show using a PC.

Dan

This will be my first year with LOR and renard I have 8 lor and 3 renard 24 SS I am not sure how I am going to run them all. I do hope Dan is coming out with a cheaper DMX I would really rather run it all on LOR but if not I have d/l XLights and will use Light Show Pro if need be but I am not sold on vixen. I am sure vixen is a good program but i started with LOR and if I can I will stay with LOR.

To use LSP you will need a usb to RS-485 to connect to the renard boards
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-RS-485-Serial-Converter-/220595038430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335c7d28de

and use the usb dongle from LOR to run there stuff.
you have to use both dongles at the same time and use 2 Diffrent networks

1 for LOR and the second for renard just tell the program (LSP or Vixen) what boards are on what com ports you can not use renard with LOR using the LOR software unless you use DMX

I hope this helps

Dale

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bump this thread since I'm in the same boat. I considered LOR and Renard and decided to run 100% with LOR for two main reasons: Support (is appreciated and universally well regarded) and ease of use. Cost is a factor but I'd rather pay a bit more for the other considerations.

While waiting for the LOR sale I've been expanding my need for geekery over to the DIY forum, I see quite a few novel applications going on. My first thought was to look to LOR for an alternative controller but didn't find one.

I considered the CCR as an alternative but just don't have the $$ for that system (would need 2) and I wanted the flexibility of a controller card so I decided to jump into the Ren48LSD with RGB+W super strips.

Why? I just didn't see a good alternative for RGB setups (lots of DC channels with low current) and I thought these boards would be pretty flexible to set up some other RGB projects as my mind wanders.

This brings me to the LOR/DMX issue. I'm placing faith in the hope for a cheaper alternative to the iDMX box to support these cards. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the iDMX box currently offered by LOR have a limitations on channels it'll support?
2. I want to use LSP with LOR boards and tack the Renard boards on the end of the string. Is the iDMX box the sole solution, or are any changes to this common setup coming down the pipe? I'm just trying to get the best picture for this year's LOR developments so I can plan my system and outlay of cash in the best manner. Again, I wish to stick with LOR as much as possible except for the areas where there's not a good option.

Any input is appreciated! :D

1) Currently the iDMX will do 512 channels, but it will only do LOR effects on 128 of them at a time. So fading, twinkle, shimmer all count against that limit. On/Off, and fixed intensity settings should not. Though, if more than 128 on/off commands were sent to happen at the same time, I might not be surprised if some of them happened early.

2) If you are using LSP, I believe it already supports native DMX from the show PC, so you could just have the DMX on a different network than the LOR hardware.

3) LOR has stated several times that they will have a low cost DMX solution for PC based shows this year.

Thank you KLB.

I was mistaken, I didn't mean to say I wanted to use LSP for programming, but want to stick with LOR for that (thought LSP was the acronym for LOR software). Looked it up and was wrong. You can see I'm a newbie this year!

So, in that scenario and using the iDMX I would be limited to 128 channels with effects. That's pretty good headroom for me. I take it this means you could dim down 64 channels while ramping up 64 more. I don't have a big display but RGBs eat up channels pretty quickly. Other channels would be limited to on/off.

taybrynn wrote

Obviously not, but Dan didn't build LOR on being overly proprietary and has always been very open to compatibility.

You forgot to include a wink emoticon with this statement. :)