Light-O-Rama Forums

how to build a mega tree

Kellenlights

Well in one word - Carefully!!

Actually there are a lot of people on here who would be glad to help you (myself included) but you need to be a little more specific with your question.

Which part of a mega tree are you interested in?

Pole?

Mountings?

Sequencing?

Give us a little better question to work on and we can help you.

Bill

If you are looking on how to build the pole of the mega tree you can use PVC like I use(mine is 15feet), you could use a flag pole, or you could use a metal pole. To attach the lights to the top you can use zipties and drill holes on top rim.(like I did)

Many peopl go with a 20' pole, typically made from black water pipe. Other may use a flagpole, fence rail or other. PVC at 20' is generally not strong enough.

Check out http://www.christmaslightshow.com ... you can buy the plans there, or just add accessories to your own design. They have everything you need and it may give you some ideas.
'

I'll second the JUMP pole. We've used it for the past two seasons and it's worked absolutely flawlessly. Only suggestion is to spray some white lithium grease on on the pipe threads at the base so they don't rust to the fittings on the fixture base :)

-Gary-

Some guys build really fancy mega trees with PVC bases and suspension systems on the lights to account for wind and weight. A lot depends on what you want, as far as what you need.

I have a 22 foot flag pole that I run the lights up and attach the lights to the ground with stakes. Mine is simple. But I love simple.

KISS- keep it simple supid (its one of my mottos)

The 2010 tree was a JUMP Tree and it is well engineered. You do not need guy wires most of the time.

One person to attach the lights, raise and lower it while everyone watches you..

My first tree was OK but a pain to raise with a light load of lights (16 slices with 1 color)

The 2010 JUMP tree was 16 slices with 4 colors and was easy to raise and lower.

Just curious, I'm wanting to replace my 20' fence rail mega tree with a stronger set of pipes this year, was thinking of going with the (2) 10' 1 1/4 black water pipes and then re-using my CLS topper, hookhead and winch.

Would it be just as easy (or better) to go with a JUMP setup at this time instead? And would I be able to re-use my CLS topper and hookhead? I've seen the JUMP plans before, but don't recall what size and kind of pipes people were using for it.

I have to say the JUMP looks really nice, esp. when you use a drill to speed up the jacking up/down, which looked pretty slow otherwise.

I"m going to review the JUMP specs here:
http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html