Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting my Planning - Advice and help requested.

jaimwolfe

Ok, I am sucked into this new addiction, and already planning for my first display next year. Here is what I have so far (I posted pictures in another thread):

18 packs of GE 100 LED blue Icicle lights ($3.70 each)
13 Packs of GE 100 LED white nets ($3.70 each)
13 packs of 108 LED white rope lights 18' ($6.00 each
7 packs of 108 LED multi-color rope lights 18' ($6.00 each)
10 packs of 213 red rope lights 18' ($3.50 each)
14 packs of 213 green rope lights 18' ($3.50 each)
5 packs of 250 LED multi color spools from Sams ($14.50 each)
6 6.5' multi color wal-mart 400ct trees ($9.50 each)
60 100ct green incan packages ($.72 each)
8 25 ct C7 LED clear packages ($1.62 each)

I am planning on a 32 channel display. Here is my house, so you have some idea of my "canvas".

house.jpg

I made a wireframe of my house for planning my locations and channels.

wireframe.jpg

Here are my plans so far. I am going to put the blue LED icicle lights all along the gutters / top of my house, probably using 2 channels (left and right sides).

I plan to make some type of PVC frames for each window (1 channel per window), to speed hanging the lights, and put the clear LED rope lights around each window on the frame. I have also debated putting both the Clear LED, as well as a Green regular rope light on each window. Since the windows are about 6'x6', and the ropes are 18', I was going to just put the rope up the sides and across the top of the window, and use more blue icicle lights along the bottom of each window (all on the same 1 channel).

I'm planning on placing the 5 Walmart trees where they are shown in the wireframe, (basically sitting where my ornamental grass grows). I will also wrap the main bushes with the net lights and a channel each, along with both of the trees with 1 channel each.

I am going to wrap 2 or 3 channels around each of the pillars on the porch with Red, Green and LED white Rope Lights.

Your advice and thoughts are appreciated.

Jaime

Ha! I wish I could, but I have a new baby and budget that require a very watchful eye. I guess I could go to 48 channels if I went with the non Pro versions of the controllers, but was planning on just buying the 32 channel starter package. Do you think I can get an acceptable first year show with 32?

A small suggestion I may make. If you take your wal mart trees and place them from your drive along the side walk closer together you can create chase sequences. chase sequences have a very good effect in fast parts of songs. quite a few of us do those with mini trees that are only a couple of feet tall. the tall ones might look cool. just one idea. Enjoy the addiction, and the only real cure for it is more channels and lights!

jaimwolfe wrote:

Ha! I wish I could, but I have a new baby and budget that require a very watchful eye. I guess I could go to 48 channels if I went with the non Pro versions of the controllers, but was planning on just buying the 32 channel starter package. Do you think I can get an acceptable first year show with 32?

I too (becasue I did not know any better) bought 2 Pro Versions...big mistake... becasue I did not need them. If you are going to run your show with a PC (and you have a basic knowledge of soldering) get the less expensive kits...they do the same thing.

And yes..you can do an acceptable show with 32 channels...but I guarantee, you will wish you had bought more...

but there is always next year...but by then the kid will be one year old and you will be wishing you had about 200 channels...

the thing about babies and LOR...they will both suck your wallet dry... :)

oh...and you need a 30' Weber tree to the right of your house... :P

Lester Stone wrote:

If someone tells you nothing is impossible.. Hand them a football and tell them to dribble it.. case closed

Hey Lester...

in response to your signature quote:

Babies don't get any cheaper, get more channels now. You didn't list how many extension cords you have, better hop to it! :P

scubado wrote:

Babies don't get any cheaper, get more channels now.

Oh yeah...before you jump in..you better decide now...

college fund or LOR fund...

Can't have both...

1511769.GIF

jimswinder wrote:

I too (becasue I did not know any better) bought 2 Pro Versions...big mistake... becasue I did not need them. If you are going to run your show with a PC (and you have a basic knowledge of soldering) get the less expensive kits...they do the same thing.

First of all, a big thank you as you just saved me at least $150 but wanted to find out .... Are you suggesting to purchase the $205 kit (where you just put things together - ie. no solder) or the $179 (where you have to solder)?

I can't find any instructions but the $179 kit looks like it has 100 pieces or more. I don't mind a few solder points but the picture looks like I'd be building from scratch.

I have 0 channels so after reading your comment, I was going to purchase 3 of the $205 PC versions and the "Advanced" software package.

Thanks in advance,
Randy

rheide wrote:

Are you suggesting to purchase the $205 kit (where you just put things together - ie. no solder) or the $179 (where you have to solder)?

I can't find any instructions but the $179 kit looks like it has 100 pieces or more. I don't mind a few solder points but the picture looks like I'd be building from scratch.

**Suggesting whatever your comfort level is...yes there are a lot of pieces...but most are duplicates (16 channels). It may take you 3-4 hours on the first one...I was able to do one in 45 minutes...but I did 33 boards. I actually bought the ones for $99 (no dongles, power cord or enclosure), but I don't think I saved much having to make my dongles (from SPT-2) or buying enclosures, though I did put 4 boards in each enclosure.

Here is the Manual that comes with the kit...look it over:

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CTB16Kpcv1_Assembly_Manual.pdf

I vote for the kit form with the completed board. But, if you have more time than money then get the solder kit and go to it. Search for the forum for soldering advice. If you can solder, the kit is not that difficult. I'm fairly handy and had NEVER soldered before. I had some bad componets that complicated things but LOR was extremely helping to resolve any problems. Practice on something else before the LOR board.

Your house will be beautiful for a display. Kind of reminds me of Holdman's house who is held in high regard my many. Check him out here for his vids if you haven't seen him before for some ideas for your house.

http://www.holdman.com/christmas/youtube-videos.asp

Jeff

you have all year to build your kits, i would go that route buy them durning the early lor sale and save big $ more money for the baby or more lights,welcome aboard and enjoy

This has been a great thread for a newbie like myself as well.

Question to those in the "know"

If you purchase the kit to solder yourself, you then need to purchase the enclosure, heat sync, supply and output cordsets (or maybe get them somewhere else at a price that is somewhat comparable?). When that is all said and done - I'm at $204 vs purchasing the no solder option for $205.95. Is this a correct assumption? (I know it was mentioned of putting 4 controllers in one unit which I can see the $ saving)

Making sure I'm on the right track. I'm all for saving money just trying to figure out how to actually save it :-)

FYI- Jim - thanks for the pdf file link!!

rheide wrote:

If you purchase the kit to solder yourself, you then need to purchase the

enclosure,

**Mine were 12x12x6 from Lowes for $33, but held 4 boards, though I would spend a little more next time and get hinged enclosures.**

heat sync,

**If you are going with LED's the Low Heat Syncs are more than enough unless you buy their kit with the enclosure, which require the High Power Heat syncs to mount the board**

supply

**Home Depot / Lowes has them for about $4..again, if you are going with LED's, you only need to use one per board**

and output cordsets (or maybe get them somewhere else at a price that is somewhat comparable?).

**Many of us just use SPT-2 for the dongles...and on many of my boards I cut them so they would reach right to my lights...especially since I mounted some of my enclosures right under my Mini Trees, so I saved on Vampire plugs.**

When that is all said and done - I'm at $204 vs purchasing the no solder option for $205.95.

Did you see the complete kit for $179 (soldering required):
http://store.lightorama.com/ctkitcpa.html

**What I did not account for was the misc hardware...like the wire nuts (strain relief), cord grips, electrical spades (wire connectors) screws, neoprene washers and extensions to lift the boards away from the enclosure...the extensions are quite spendy when you need 4 per board and I had 33 boards to mount!!** Would also suggest buying a cord that takes the CAT5 cable from the board to the outside of the enclosure...lots of people have their connection damaged by the CAT 5 cable being tripped over or pulled (You can see what I used in the pic below).

Is this a correct assumption? (I know it was mentioned of putting 4 controllers in one unit which I can see the $ saving)

**so unless you are putting multiple boards into an enclosure, I would recommend buying the full kit from LOR (Enclosure, dongles, power, etc.)

Making sure I'm on the right track. I'm all for saving money just trying to figure out how to actually save it :-)

FYI- Jim - thanks for the pdf file link!!

PS If you aren't in a hurry, wait for the sales...and one of their sales you could win your order for FREE!!! Just download the software now and get started with your sequencing and getting acquainted with Sequence Editor.

Attached files 232549=12735-Enclosure 4.jpg

If you plan to have your controllers indoors or in the garage, you don't really need outdoor enclosures to save some bucks. If you buy SPT extension cords at menards you can make your own dongles the length you need.

I too am waiting for the Feb sale to make my first LOR purchase! Figuring 16, no wait 32, eh did I say 32, I meant 48, yes I want to start with 48! I will be running it from a PC(as I have many laying around), and will be running 95% LED's(around 9k to start) so i've seen many board options, and know how to solder, but if I'm only gonna save $20-30 I would rather not take the risk, and have a perfect pre-made boards, etc?!?!

With that being said which model/kit's etc should I focus on?

Also, am I the only one that has a wife pushing me to join the LOR addiction?:(

TechMan wrote:

Also, am I the only one that has a wife pushing me to join the LOR addiction?:(

I wouldn't say that too loud...you'll be getting offers of LOR controllers to trade for her!!!

jimswinder wrote:

TechMan wrote:
Also, am I the only one that has a wife pushing me to join the LOR addiction?:P

I wouldn't say that too loud...you'll be getting offers of LOR controllers to trade for her!!!

LOL!!! If I trade her who will help set up?:cool: