Light-O-Rama Forums

Window frames for storm windows

roknjohn

I plan to put up four-color mini super strings around my windows next year. All of my windows have storm windows installed, which creates a small channel all of the way around the window. I'm thinking that this would be the best place for the lights. Has anyone built frames for storm windows?
Storm%20Windows.JPG

I tried something similar for the first time this year and it turned out well (my wife liked it!) I used 1 inch pvc pipe to make the frames and zip-tied the lights onto the frame. I have about 2.5-3 inches of depth from face of the brick to the window. I kept the frames in place with tension. I drilled two holes on one of the verticle pipes, one near the top and one near the bottom. I used a carriage bolt, wing nut, regular nut, teflon nut and a couple of washers to apply the tension, pushing against one side of the brick. I had no problems and we had some wind, rain, snow etc. You need to make sure that you leave space for the tension bolt to extend beyond the frame and still fit the space. I don't know if this helps.

Brian W wrote:

I tried something similar for the first time this year and it turned out well (my wife liked it!) I used 1 inch pvc pipe to make the frames and zip-tied the lights onto the frame. I have about 2.5-3 inches of depth from face of the brick to the window. I kept the frames in place with tension. I drilled two holes on one of the verticle pipes, one near the top and one near the bottom. I used a carriage bolt, wing nut, regular nut, teflon nut and a couple of washers to apply the tension, pushing against one side of the brick. I had no problems and we had some wind, rain, snow etc. You need to make sure that you leave space for the tension bolt to extend beyond the frame and still fit the space. I don't know if this helps.

Hey Brain..got any pics of what you described?

I only have "whole house" pics at this time, but I can take some this weekend. What would you like to see? I have taken the lights down but I have not put them in storage yet. I can put one back in the window and give you a shot of just that, or do you want one of the frame w/lights on the ground or do you want a close up of the hardware that I am using for the tension?

As a newbie, do I just insert the picture in my reply thru the browse button?

Brian W wrote:

or do you want a close up of the hardware that I am using for the tension?

As a newbie, do I just insert the picture in my reply thru the browse button?

I was interested in the hardware/tension set-up...

and yes...use the Browse button to attach a picture...

Here is a pic. I used a 3/8 Carriage Bolt. From left to right, that is the Locking Nut, it has a teflon ring inside to keep it in place. There should be a flat washer next (I must have missed that one!), the pvc pipe frame, another flat washer, a regular nut and then a wing nut. Once the frame is in place, you can hand-tighten the regular nut and secure it in place with the wing nut. The flexibility of the pvc provides the tension. I installed these about 6" from the top and bottom elbows. On the opposite corner of the frame I used pvc Tee couplings instead of elbows to provide a "foot" to press against the brick and to avoid pinching the light strands.

Attached files 232672=12737-IMG_0583small.JPG