Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to put the controller?

David Rise

As a newbie I am making my plan for next christmas. I think that I have a few spots picked out for some dedicated lines.

Probably a dumb newbie question for you seasoned folks....

But I am curious where you folks put your controller(s)? In my mind I keep thinking that I need to put it somewhere out of sight (secure) so someone won't walk off with it in the middle of the night.

David Rise wrote:

As a newbie I am making my plan for next christmas. I think that I have a few spots picked out for some dedicated lines.

But I am curious where you folks put your controller(s)? In my mind I keep thinking that I need to put it somewhere out of sight (secure) so someone won't walk off with it in the middle of the night.

Mine are mounted to wooden boards attached to galvanized pipe that slides into sleeves in the ground. When done setting up, I cover with a black plastic garbage bag. Pretty invisible.

David Rise wrote:

Some of mine are screwed to the sides of my house, some are on the roof, some attached to the chimney, and some are on stakes out in the yard. I try to keep them close to the lights to minimize the length of power cords needed, while at the same time, keeping them in low visibility areas. Of course, since I use over a mile of cords, I guess you could say I'm a failure...

D.T.

I locate mine in places where it minimizes extension cord use and maximizes connectivity for display items. They means some on the roof, some on the side of the house, some in the yard, some on the fence, etc. Since I'm controlling two large homes and a big yard ... there is no way I'd want to put stuff in the garage and run 100+' cords to everything. Most of the controllers are mounted on stakes I put into the yard and are hidden behind display items when possible. I film everything with a couple cameras and have other security measures in place.

One goal for the placement of almost every single controller is: where can I place it where I can hook up a bunch of channels with NO extension cords? So by doing this with most controllers, I save a lot of extension cords.

I like putting as much on the roof as possible, as its the safest place I have. And a big benefit is that hooking up things on the roof is very easy and clean ... as most of the cords are all on the roof, and out of sight.

I've already read some some people put on a screw for the controller enclosure with uses an very non standard screw head, thus making it very hard to unlatch those boxes with the special tool. I've in the past also made leashes from cable that makes stealing them a lot harder.

I also would say put some warning on the boxes themselves (high voltage, danger, risk of death, etc.) ... and some messages like (under survieliance or you are being watched, etc.) ...

My 3 AC and 1 DC controllers sit back in the bushes, against my house, on a metal framework. Easily stolen if someone wanted to quietly cut all my SPT connections (no dongles, all custom made wiring harnesses..), but the reason for that placement is it is near the extra dryer vent which connected my small sub panel and GFIs (also mounted to framework) to the 240V cord going into the house. All covered in plastic for rain protection from roof runoff.

So if someone really wanted my controllers..they could cut all the SPT, unplug and unbolt the controllers, and take them away. My house sits a 1/4 mile off the road, so someone has to come on the property to even see where anything is..as I see it, pretty low odds..

And, most importantly, that IS the perfect place from a connection point for everything I was lighting up...

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was lookin for. Since I'm only going to have 1 controller to start with this year, The spot that I picked for the dedicated lines will be right where it needs to be.
Now I just need lights. Have lots of old strings that I've accumulated over the years, but they are all multi color. Probably going to figure out a way to work them in and replace them for 2012.

I put my one controller (First Year with LOR) behind a shrub tree under the roof overhang, against the house. I bought two cement cinder blocks at Lowes for $0.99 each, mounted the LOR controller with a 15' chain to the blocks. Covered the blocks with black trash bags, like the previous gentlemen mentioned, held in place with some tree branches. Make's it virtually invisible with snow & darkness. Anybody that steals it will need bolt cutters or carry two cement cinder blocks (about 40 pounds) with it. In that case I'll call my Insurance Rep and report it stolen.............. Most thieves don't have a clue how this works and there is no black market for them unless you buy it on Ebay. There's only 15 or so people in my area that do this so I don't think it's a big worry......Hope that helps.

All 7 of mine are attached to the side of my house behind locked gates.

Theives would be better off stealing decorations.

Better market and easier to take.

Mountainwxman wrote:

JBullard wrote:
My 30 controllers are just spread out all over my yard.

I'm with John.

As am I.

I think it depends on your neighborhood. I don't anticipate any theft issues, and if I did, I think it's more likely they'd be copper thieves going after extension cords.

I do, however, have a deer issue, and have had to re-setup effects after a deer gets a cable caught on their hoof and drags it across the yard tearing things loose. The less cords I have out there, the less likely I'll have to fix up things.