Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help with wireless configuration

Guest guest

Hi, newbie here. This is our very first year trying to automate our Christmas lights. I have a LOR1602W controller, with a USB485B converter and 2 Easy Light Linkers.

When I connect the controller directly to my laptop, I am able to locate the correct comm channel, id the controller, and test without any problems. When I try to connect using the wireless, the controller cannot be found.

I have downloaded and installed the latest hardware utility, and have tried every port configuration I can think of. I am sure that I am missing some simple step, and I would really appreciate any help figuring out what that step is.

ColevilleBob wrote:

When I connect the controller directly to my laptop, I am able to locate the correct comm channel, id the controller, and test without any problems. When I try to connect using the wireless, the controller cannot be found.

I have downloaded and installed the latest hardware utility, and have tried every port configuration I can think of. I am sure that I am missing some simple step, and I would really appreciate any help figuring out what that step is.

It really should be as simple as replacing the wired link with two ELLs. Check LED1 on both ELLs, it should be flashing at about once per second. Do this while they are plugged into the USB485 & 1602 controller respectively to make sure both ELLs are powered and booted.

Plug one ELL at a time into the USB485B and click the "LOR RF" tab. They both should fill in the "Current Device Parameters" window and populate the radio buttons. Make sure both are on the same Frequency and set to the same Speed.

While the Hardware Utility is running, LED2 on both ELLs should flash (pretty dim). This is the heartbeat being transmitted/received. LED3 should not be on or flash as it indicates an error.

Let me know what you see when you do these tests.

I have been using the ELLs in the shop for 3 months and have never been able to get"feed back" from controllers thru the wireless system. As a result I ignore any use of the Hardware Editor and simply write quick test routines to check various controllers. It works fine that way. I just figured Dan had not provided reverse communication through the Easy Light Linker.

Bill:

I can attest to the fact that the ELL's work exactly like John says. Have you done the firmware upgrade to 1.8? I can poll all my controllers just like they were hard wired. There were issues with the earlier firmware.

Mike

Bill Foley wrote:

I have been using the ELLs in the shop for 3 months and have never been able to get"feed back" from controllers thru the wireless system. As a result I ignore any use of the Hardware Editor and simply write quick test routines to check various controllers. It works fine that way. I just figured Dan had not provided reverse communication through the Easy Light Linker.

Bill,

If you download the latest Hardware Utility from the LOR support page you will have 2 way communications with the ELLs....

Dan.

I have downloaded what I believe is the latest firmware file, CTB16DV5_Blue_v4.01.lhx - My system board is blue. The ELL connected to the USB 485B has LED 1 flashing bright, and LED 2 flashing dim. The ELL connected to the LOR1602W has LED 1 flashing bright, but nothing on LED 2.

When I tried to update the firmware, I got this message: Bootload file not valid for this controller. As you might expect, the ELL's do not appear to be communicating with each other.

Any suggestion as to what I should try next?

Thanks.

Update - I tested both ELL units. One was at 19200, the other at 57600. i reset them both to 57600, and we have success. Thanks for the suggestions, and I am sure I will be back for more advice.

Bob

ColevilleBob wrote:

Update - I tested both ELL units. One was at 19200, the other at 57600. i reset them both to 57600, and we have success. Thanks for the suggestions, and I am sure I will be back for more advice.

Bob

Bob,

Glad to hear it. I don't know when you purchased your stuff, but you should do as Mike says and use the Hardware Utility, "LOR RF" tab and examine the "Current Device Parameters" window. Make sure you have "ver=2.8" Versions before this have problems that you don't want to find during your show. The RF-V4 firmware is available on the http://www.lightorama.com support page, also be sure your Hardware Utility has "1.5.6" in the title bar. If you have an older version (or no version number) get the new one off the support page. Make sure only one RF-V4 is connected to the PC and nothing else when you download firmware.

Good luck,
John

• 4 weeks later...

need help-

hooked up 1 ELL to back of puter via usb485b.

in the LOR hardware screen-

i have selected,

frequency 01

speed 57600

power level 15dBm

then i click on GET CURRENT CONFIGURATION

i get an error message back:

UNABLE TO LOCATE UNIT. MAKE SURE RF UNIT IS ATTAHCED and POWERED.

(fwiw: the LED 1 is blinking) on the ELL) also- i dont have another ELL on any of the LOR boxes yet.) could someone pleas enlighten me. i would love to go out and hook the ELL on the controler boxes to see the lights work that i set up today.

thank you

toddlwitte wrote:

need help-

hooked up 1 ELL to back of puter via usb485b.
i get an error message back:

UNABLE TO LOCATE UNIT. MAKE SURE RF UNIT IS ATTAHCED and POWERED.
Make sure you have the latest Hardware Utility from http://www.lightorama.com -> Support -> Hardware Utility (bottom of page).
Make sure you have manually selected the Comm port that the USB485B is on in the Setup Comm Port section of the Hardware Utility window. Since you don't have another ELL or a controller connected, Autoconfigure won't work.
Stop and start the Hardware Utility.