Light-O-Rama Forums

16 or 32 to Start

Guest guest

Ok, considering going with LOR this year. Already have an FM Tuner and dedicated computer but not Unlimited Money ;)

I am looking at adding a few new wire frames so $700 will be gone there. So, the most I could do is 32 channels this year and even that would be a stretch.

Can you do much with 16 or is 32 the minimum I should consider to start?

Thanks All!

levelbest wrote:

Ok, considering going with LOR this year. Already have an FM Tuner and dedicated computer but not Unlimited Money ;)

I am looking at adding a few new wire frames so $700 will be gone there. So, the most I could do is 32 channels this year and even that would be a stretch.

Thanks All!

Here is a thread that will help you out. I had the same question.

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/6166.html

On the wireframes, you can add the lights yourself for a whole lot less.

Michael B

levelbest wrote:

I hear you on adding the lights but at some point, it's about time too - and I just don't have enough. Maybe next year start in july ;)

So, should I assume you went with 16?

Yes, I went with a 16 channel 30 amp contoller from LOR.

I sequenced one song, Jingle Bells. I have decided to buy a 5 song sequenced package from LOR. I am waiting to see if they get the rights to more songs.

Michael B

Edit: Grammar

I decided to make a Halloween display for the simple fact that I originally wanted 48 channels for a Christmas display but ran out of funds. ;) ( I might add that I have had 3 songs and the animation for Christmas sequenced for about 6 months with the demo software.) I bought the software, connector and (1) 16 channel 40 amp controller during he sale.

I set up the Halloween display Oct. 21 and I must say for just 16 channels it is getting a lot of good reviews. There is nothing like this where I live. Most people don't even put anything up and the ones that do are just static displays.

One of my wife's friends called the local news after she saw it and they may want to do a story on it. I just don't know about that because it is just my front porch and not the whole 2 story house. By the way, a little info about the display: I have (4) 3 foot lighted pumpkins, 3 blue spot lights shining on some small tombstones, 12 bats, 3 lighted eyes, the porch roof-line is done in orange and purple LED's (Phillips) and the best part of all is my lighted face that sings "The Monster Mash and does the Vincent Price voice in "Thriller" by Michael Jackson"

I don't have an analog or video capture card in my PC yet. Maybe I'll break down and buy one so I can put the video in the show and tell.

So to answer your question finally.. I think you can do a pretty good show with 16 channels.

splicer480 wrote:

I don't have an analog or video capture card in my PC yet. Maybe I'll break down and buy one so I can put the video in the show and tell.

A little off topic ... but I was able to borrow a camera last year. The person was willing to lend me the camera, then dump it to a portable media for me. I was then able to edit the videos on my own computer.

The point? Ask around, and possibly save some cash.

Thanks for the advise Don. I just talked to a guy @ work a little while ago and he said he had a camcorder (mini) and he has a connector (that is usb) that is supposed to let you pull the video into the hard drive but he has never used it. Does this sound like it may work to get the video on my hard drive?

splicer480 wrote:

Thanks for the advise Don. I just talked to a guy @ work a little while ago and he said he had a camcorder (mini) and he has a connector (that is usb) that is supposed to let you pull the video into the hard drive but he has never used it. Does this sound like it may work to get the video on my hard drive?

Yep! Should work just fine.

I would recommend if you are just starting use 16 first. I did my first displays last year with 16 and was happy and busy with sequences. I did purchase another 16 channel controller this year to go bigger, but have not started setting up the sequences yet.

Flanman

levelbest wrote:

Great advice guys - go small - build as you go. I think that is indeed what I will do.

Timewise, you're pushing it no matter what you start with. You have about a month from today -- and it will probably take you up to two weeks to get your controllers. You can download the software and get sequencing right away, though...

You might want to consider not doing a music-synced display this year, and use some non-musical animated sequences just to get your feet wet. Then spend the proper time planning for a 2007 display -- with a year to plan you should be able to pull off just about anything.

Just a little reality check...
-Tim

levelbest wrote:

Yeah, I was gonna go pre-sequenced this year - then next year get into sequencing to stuff I want to hear ;)

Thanks for the advice.

That is basically what I am doing.

At LOR, if you buy their's you get the 16 and 32 channel sequences. Dan told me that through a PM. I asked about upgrading for next year.

Michael B

levelbest wrote:

Thanks All!

It looks like the consensus is to go with 16, but I thought I sum it up from my own experience.

You soon realize that 16 ch isn't enough to do anything but a basic display. Not that that is bad--it makes the learning curve a little less steep. The more channels you have, the longer it takes to sequence your music.

I'll stick with 16 ch this year, but hope to purchase at least another 16ch and maybe 2x 16 ch is they have an after season sale.