Light-O-Rama Forums

What did you buy today?

Leroy Thompson

Mike Cole wrote:

Looks like were all doing candycane spinners next year.

I can see why - they look great and they're easy to do! I made my first spinners in '08 by zip-tying C6 LED's onto round green garden stakes. They looked excellent, but they were pretty labor-intensive having to zip-tie each light. At the end of the season I bought a bunch of lighted candy canes and before I even put things away I made my first pinwheel spinner using them. I immediately wished I had bought more. What a difference in build time - using the candy canes reduced it from 3+ hours per spinner down to 30 minutes.

Update on the Target purple candy canes - they suck. With clear lights in them when you plug them in they actually look like a putrid faded pink. I'm going to strip out the clear incans and replace them with purple C6 LED's tomorrow and will report back.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgardner518

• George Simmons

• Leroy Thompson

• friskybri

I couldn't find any single color mini strings (other than clear). I was looking for some red strings and blue strings. i did buy 50 mini's 100 ct., 30 mini's 50 ct. and 16 mini's 20 ct. Also bought a kill-a-watt, since I'll be buying at least 3 more controllers for next year. For my B-day in Feb, I told my wife and 3 sons I wanted extension cords...they looked at me like I was crazy.

MikeH

I think I found the best sale EVER! Better an ANY website out there!

I just bought the following around noon time at Rite Aid!

36 sets of green cord, Red bulb, 100ct 2" spacing, mini's
36 sets of green cord, Green bulb, 100ct 2" spacing, mini's
19 sets of green cord, Blue bulb, 100ct 2" spacing, mini's

I still need 17 more boxes for blue, but they are scarce here at my Rite Aids. I was told they were popular this year! And Rite Aid never sold yellow, the other one I still need.

I have yet to tell you the best part. The best part is that I got them at 50% off. I only paid $1.50 a box.

I have NEVER seen any lights, at any sale, ever go that low!

It was well worth it to pay $136.50 for 91 boxes!

I just need to pick up 36 sets of yellow, and the rest of the blue I need. All this for my first, Mega Tree for 2011! I'm planning on a 10' 64 channel tree. But because I'm unemployed, It depends on how much I can come up with for the sales, to buy controllers. That is one thing I don't have yet! I'm shooting for a 64 channel one, but it may end up being a 48, 32, or 16 channel!

Any ideas where the best place for cheap 100ct 2" spacing, yellow mini's?

George Simmons wrote:

Mike Cole wrote:
Looks like were all doing candycane spinners next year.

I can see why - they look great and they're easy to do! I made my first spinners in '08 by zip-tying C6 LED's onto round green garden stakes. They looked excellent, but they were pretty labor-intensive having to zip-tie each light. At the end of the season I bought a bunch of lighted candy canes and before I even put things away I made my first pinwheel spinner using them. I immediately wished I had bought more. What a difference in build time - using the candy canes reduced it from 3+ hours per spinner down to 30 minutes.

Update on the Target purple candy canes - they suck. With clear lights in them when you plug them in they actually look like a putrid faded pink. I'm going to strip out the clear incans and replace them with purple C6 LED's tomorrow and will report back.

What do the pin wheels look like? And how are they Made? Any still daylight pictures? This is the first I have EVER heard of them! I'm interested in finding out more on them!

Jeff Millard wrote:

All I bought was gas for the snowblower...

Jeff

I didn't buy any of that either...:P

Makes you wonder if these last few weeks of weather, from west coast to east, is a sign of things to come this winter...ugh..

thompsol wrote:

Please tell me about the spinners. I'm kind of a newbie at this and that's a term I'm not as familiar with. How do they work?

Attached files 231094=12689-Candy cane spinner.jpg

I bought about 7500 multi colored mini LED. Some from Lowes, Home Depot and some from Sam's. Still need to order some LED single colored lights for the Mega tree for next year. Plans are to go from 16 chaneels to 96 channels next year.

George Simmons wrote:

thompsol wrote:
Please tell me about the spinners. I'm kind of a newbie at this and that's a term I'm not as familiar with. How do they work?

Thanks for the picture George and great idea using the fencing. cheers.gif

Bought 20 canes from Wallyworld today because I planned on doing two 8 cane wheels... I like your 12 cane layout though since it looks fuller. I'm keeping my fingers crossed our other Walmart has 4 more red/white. :)

-Jeff

p.s. And to keep in the spirit of this thread, I picked up another 7,200 clear incans this afternoon. :)

Sandra and I bought 222 boxes of 100ct mini's

Cleaned out 3 counties to do it .. LOL .. man they are getting scarce ..

Bob

bob_moody wrote:

Sandra and I bought 222 boxes of 100ct mini's

Cleaned out 3 counties to do it .. LOL .. man they are getting scarce ..

Bob

What kind of minis did you get and how much?

I need Yellow, 100ct mini's that are about 2.5" apart, or 20' long lighted length. Any ideas who to go to, or who would be the cheapest?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Wait a minute Bob - don't tell us - let me guess...

Okay - my guess is that you got 100 ct strings. And I'm thinking you got, um, 200 sets. No, wait - I see another number forming in my mind - hold on a minute... ... ... it's getting clearer by the second... ... almost there... I've got it! I'll guess 222 boxes of minis! How did I do?

George Simmons wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Wait a minute Bob - don't tell us - let me guess...

Okay - my guess is that you got 100 ct strings. And I'm thinking you got, um, 200 sets. No, wait - I see another number forming in my mind - hold on a minute... ... ... it's getting clearer by the second... ... almost there... I've got it! I'll guess 222 boxes of minis! How did I do?

Why do you have to be a F**KING Smart A$$! I know he bought 200 boxes of 100ct mini's. I was asking WHAT KIND! DUMB A$$!

Lets see they make alot of colored mini's, like:
Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
White
Muti
Purple
Amber
Pink
Light Blue

Should I go ON?

On yea, There is also spacing!
Like: 2", 2.5", 4", 6", 1' spacing, Maybe more!

I asked bob_moody a question! So personally me, and I'm sure the "administrators" of this forum would agree, If you ain't got something nice to say. Than shut-up!

The main purpose of this forum is for "people" to ask questions, and not feel bullied or have their question laughed at, or ripped apart like George Simmons did for asking a question, they felt was important to them!

DAN, I'm sorry for VENTING, But this is not the first time I have had this problem, for asking a question. Something should be said/enforced!

Thanks!