Light-O-Rama Forums

Hobbyist nearly completed but I may have been sent wrong opto isolators...please help!!

Guest guest

Looking at areas U6 all the way to U21 there should be 16 6 pinned chips (Opto isolators I believe) Only problem is 13 match codes on top of the chip and the other 3 dont.....

13 x M0C3023

3 x MDC3023

Is there any difference?

captainkarl wrote:

Looking at areas U6 all the way to U21 there should be 16 6 pinned chips (Opto isolators I believe) Only problem is 13 match codes on top of the chip and the other 3 dont.....

13 x M0C3023

3 x MDC3023

Is there any difference?
I checked the Semiconductor manufacturers and couldn't find any that made an MDC all I can find is stuff on the M0C series, But Don't worry, if it is white, 6 pins, and came from LOR. Then it is most likely a Triac output optoisolator and won't cause you any problems, as long as you install it in the correct direction.

You don't have to ground them. It's just a nice place to land the ground if you are going to use grounded plugs and pigtails. I have two styles of boards, and mounted them in different ways. On the large heatsink style I ran a #12 wire from sink to sink (all my boards but one are in a large metal case) on the 2 kit boards I have, there are low power heat sinks. I didn't ground them at all.

On my Orbit box, I crimped a lug on the green ground wire and landed it on a mounting screw that mounts the large heatsink. None of the output extension cords have a ground.

If you're using a metal case to mount your boards, you it's necessary to ground the case.

jeff