Light-O-Rama Forums

Orbit Box challenge!

Guest guest

llbarnes wrote:

Ok, ok, not really a challenge, but a really neat idea.

Has anyone thought about cutting out the front of the orbit box and putting a plexiglass window?

Luke

Why? If it's just to see the status LED, I'd personally just move the LED off the board (carefully desoldering it) and mounting it on the bottom of the enclosure. But typically you don't need to see status LED's once you have everything up and running. If something gets messed up, you'll notice lights out and can then pop the box open to check.

Unless I'm missing something I wouldn't mess with the integrity of the box just to have a clear front.

-Tim

Oh no. I just saw somebody elses really cool yellow boxes and they had a window on the front. It's more for effect than purpose.

I was thinking about it but then remembered I have a big huge "Danger, high voltage" type sign on the front of mine.

llbarnes wrote:

Oh no. I just saw somebody elses really cool yellow boxes and they had a window on the front. It's more for effect than purpose.

I was thinking about it but then remembered I have a big huge "Danger, high voltage" type sign on the front of mine.

If you keep your boxes outside, I think the last thing you want is for them to look "cool" ("cool looking" == "desirable to steal").

If you keep them inside, then I guess it's up to you. I'm sort of from the "make the infastructure only as pretty as necessary to work" camp. For example, the whole PC case modding camp just confuses me -- why waste money on a pretty case when you could spend it souping up what's inside? :laughing: Besides, hardly anyone but me and my family ever see my PC...

-Tim

Tim,

Very good point. As this Chatroom has grown exponentially thanks to a Wizards in Winter song last year, so also has the awareness of LOR and that the controllers cost a LOT of money... Last thing I am doing is hanging a sign on my controllers saying.... Here it is, come and get it.

lol, and that is why I keep coming back to this great forum. Good ol' common sense. Although I don't think any of us has enough of it to come in from out in the rain...

My controllers will be up on the porch on a board that is bolted to the railing but you are right. If somebody really wants them, the will find a way to get them. No sense in making them even more desirable.

Thanks guys.

luke