Light-O-Rama Forums

ServoDog or DIO32

mrduncan

I interested in integrating some servo controlled devices in my displays. Is the SevroDog or the DIO32 card the way to go. Within the LOR S2 software, how is the servo position controlled within a musical sequence?

Here is the servo dog manual:

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/ServoDog_Man_Web.pdf

Here is the DIO-32 manual:
http://lightorama.com/Documents/DIO32_Man_Web.pdf

I know that the servo dog manual speaks to how intensities get mapped to servo positions.. Basically 0% intensity is all the way to one end, and 100% is all the way to the other end of travel..

From what I can tell, which one depends on how many servos you want, and if they can all be efficiently cabled to the same spot.. Also, which headaches do you want.. Getting past 16 servos on the DIO-32 takes some extra wiring.. Either of them take providing a suitable servo power suppply..

I'm sure someone with actual experience with these and servo use will chime in soon..

I've used the servo dog, for one trigger input, and one PWM lighting channel. It also provided power to a EL.. It worked perfectly, and was a much cleaner solution for that one night than what I did the year before...

The DIO32 has a lot of other things built into it that the ServoDog doesn't...at least to an extent. You can configure it's 32 ports any way you want...input/outputs/PWM/servo control. The ServoDog also has those things, but in a smaller quantity. I also have the DIO32 and hated it. I am using servos in my display for frosty's movements and next year when he is in a band I will probably have 3 ServoDogs.

Get the ServoDog...you wan't be disappointed!

I have and use both. I think both work grate. If you just want to control servos, get the servo dog. If you want to control more that 8 servos and need I/O's and stuff get the DIO32. Because the DIO32 can do so many things it can get a little confusing to setup all the Dip switches and Jumpers.

Steve

Thanks for all the advice. Since I first posted this question, I’ve come across a lot of information on animatronics. First, there is a cool program call TrackSkull by MonkeyBasic (www.monkeybasic.com/Products/TrackSkull/) which allow you to record all the servo moments via either a joy stick or IR sensor (more expensive option). This recorded information is basically a TXT file. This can then be imported into VSA (www.brookshiresoftware.com/vsa_overview.htm). VSA looks like another light/servo control program. So, the challenge is can this TXT file somehow be imported into LOR?