Light-O-Rama Forums

Are Members Mark LED's a waste of my money?

jaimwolfe

Daryl wrote:

What's the difference between half and full wave?

How can you tell the difference?

Many people, including me are bothered by the constant flickering of half wave lights. I get a headache everytime I see them.

For LEDs, I recommend spending any extra dollar or two and getting a quality product from a vendor such as Creative Displays.

Full wave (no flicker), sealed (no rust)

Half wave and full wave. LED's are a type of diode that emits light, all diodes allow current to pass in one direction. AC, alternating current flows back and forth. A half wave LED string will light when current flows in one direction and but not in the other direction. AC current has a frequency or 60Hz, a half wave string will flicker 60 times a second and this is what makes these LED strings annoying to some people. A full wave LED string has four rectifier diodes in series with the LED's, these rectifier diodes convert the back and forth or alternating current into pulsing DC (direct current) this allows the LED's to light on both the top and bottom half cycles allowing for a smoother light output although the LED's are actually flickering 120 times a second which is less noticeable.

I hope this in not too confusing and that it answers some questions.

Boy I sure wish you could predict which big box LED's are going to work with LOR. I just figured up my 2011 further conversion to LED using the CDI pre-sale prices and it still came to over $1400.00. We are talking 600 feet of LED rope light and 8 cases (X12) of assorted M6.

If i could save a few bucks I sure would.

Would it be safe (if there is such a thing) to predict that ALL full wave LED's work with LOR?

Nope! I found out that just putting in a full wave rectifier will only produce enough voltage to run 46 white LEDs. So this holds true for blue, and green (not sure of pink or purple). So, how does one get say 50 LEDs or 100 LED ct strings to work? Well there is a circuit that uses a capacitor and diodes to "Double" the voltage. But this circuit does not play well with a PWM running below 100% on. And it eventually burns out the circuit.

So, look for LED strings that use less than 46 LEDs in series. But that still does not guarantee that it will be safe. Got a couple of sets here that I am working on for a guy. Seems that it is 100ct and has 33, 33, and 34 LEDs in series in those 3 sub-sets. but had a cap in both ends (male plug and female socket). I am only finding one cap at the end and so that would mean that they are trying to filter the ripples for less flicker. Takes two caps to make a voltage doubler.

So in a nutshell. Capacitors are a no-no in LEDs that you are going to use on a LOR and imagine any other makers controllers.

• 3 years later...

I acually have 15 rolls of these (top photo in the thread) and yes, they are LED and yes they actually work fantastically... We get a lot of Rain and Snows here in Colorado, and last year I left the entire display up year round, yes I had a few strings falling off trees and roofline, but when I powered up, all work. I have had these for about 6 years now, I was hoping there was more this year at our local sams, but the buyer decided to go with white Incans this year.

Think we all should write a letter to walmarts Buyer to request different lights. I did notice that they did have the separate Red, Green, Blue... but they were all Incans and I am LED. :)

We had these prior to knowing anything about LOR,  in basic 200ct warm white.  So I bought my first controller last year and tested right away for fading after reading about all the problems on the forum.  They fade and work great.  My only complaint if any would be that the cones on the bulbs are just covers and sometime get caught on branches when taking down lights.  The cover has come off a few times but snaps back on.  Otherwise they have been through a lot of rain and Snow and worked great with no problems.  My preference for lights however is the M5 concave from the vendors.  But for the price Sams Club are hard to beat.