Light-O-Rama Forums

CDI Pre Oder Sale for 2011

paul sessel

Don Gillespie wrote:

...yes George I too may be interested just want to do my home work why do you use these instead of the led strobes?

I don't like how long the LED strobes take to randomize and I don't like the extreme directionality of LED strobes. When those two items are overcome I'll buy them again. Until then, I'm back to being a xenon guy.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paul sessel

• jimswinder

• JBullard

• PaulXmas

I'm with George..it would take 4 or 5 seconds for the LED strobes to "randomize"...and I never really had them on that long...

and since they are very directional, made it difficult (impossible) to hang in my Weber and Mega trees...

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
...yes George I too may be interested just want to do my home work why do you use these instead of the led strobes?

I don't like how long the LED strobes take to randomize and I don't like the extreme directionality of LED strobes. When those two items are overcome I'll buy them again. Until then, I'm back to being a xenon guy.

After seeing the videos Jim had been so kind to post I am in with you two guys I have not researched a lot but they will work on my C-9 sockets that I bought from CDI is this correct if this is a yes I will take twenty five of each color RGB PM me we can work out all the details

Don Gillespie wrote:

but they will work on my C-9 sockets that I bought from CDI is this correct if this is a yes I will take twenty five of each color RGB PM me we can work out all the details

Yes..they both use the C9 sockets...

As the soon to be owner of some used LED strobes;), I can give you my THEORY (because I haven't tried it yet).

My house sits back about 70 ft from the road. I have 8 mini trees that line the road. I plan on putting the LED strobes on these mini trees and getting some xenon strobes for the house. In THEORY, I don't want to completely over power everything else with 6W xenon strobes at the street, so I think LED's will give a smaller POP at the road, and folks can still see thru them.

Nick

NickByrd wrote:

In THEORY, I don't want to completely over power everything else with 6W xenon strobes at the street, so I think LED's will give a smaller POP at the road, and folks can still see thru them.

I agree with you that maybe it would be better to have dimmer strobes closer and brighter ones farther away. But xenon strobes aren't nearly as overpowering as you might think. If you were using xenons, an effective way to mute them without losing the WOW factor would be to space the ones up front more sparsely.

The LED models will work well for what you want, though. You can shorten the time to randomization by pre-charging them at something like 16% power for half a second or so before firing them at 100%. I've not done it, so I don't know the long-term effect, if any, on the strobes. I hope that someone who's done it for a season chimes in - they're a better source of info.

I use both, the LED and the Xenon, on separate strings.

For the real WOW, I fire the Xenon.

The LED strobes I think have more of a twinkle effect. Perfect for using for accent in some of the softer passages of songs.

Two years of precharging the LED strobes with no ill effects

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

I use both, the LED and the Xenon, on separate strings.

For the real WOW, I fire the Xenon.

The LED strobes I think have more of a twinkle effect. Perfect for using for accent in some of the softer passages of songs.

Two years of precharging the LED strobes with no ill effects

John when you and George talk about pre charging the strobes do you program them to come on at a certain time and just before they come on do you start them out at 16% (I beleive this was the figure George used) is there a reason for this will they not fire properly from 0 - 100 % or do you have to precharge them to get the total effect?

When a group of the LED strobes are first turned on (from a "cold" start, they tend to fire all at the same time for a few seconds before they randomize. By precharging, they start off random.

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

When a group of the LED strobes are first turned on (from a "cold" start, they tend to fire all at the same time for a few seconds before they randomize. By precharging, they start off random.

Makes sense thanks for clearing this up for me

I like the LED strobes (as well as the Xenon).

Just a matter of realilizing that they are different then the xenon, and to plan accordingly for their use.

I've already bought some more LED strobes from another individual (he refused to precharge them in his sequence and to recognise and appreciate the wonderful "twinkle effect" that they offer to a sequence.)

I also ordered more of the xenon from CDI, I like them also.

George Simmons wrote:

Hey - anyone interested in splitting a quantity of colored xenon strobes? I'd like some red and green, maybe 50 each, but Paul isn't interested in selling them in quantities of less than 100 and I don't need that many. Or maybe if enough people ARE interested he could be persuaded to rethink his policy, perhaps in an effort to help prevent customers from defecting to Ryan for their lights... Does anyone buy colored xenon models from other vendors?

George,

For the last 3 years, I've made my own colored strobes. I use Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint.

Don Gillespie wrote:

John when you and George talk about pre charging the strobes do you program them to come on at a certain time and just before they come on do you start them out at 16% (I beleive this was the figure George used) is there a reason for this will they not fire properly from 0 - 100 % or do you have to precharge them to get the total effect?

I found I needed to "pre-charge" for them to fire right away and when I wanted them to...

If I just started at 100% at the moment I wanted them to go off, they were ALWAYS late at going off...

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

I found I needed to "pre-charge" for them to fire right away and when I wanted them to...

If I just started at 100% at the moment I wanted them to go off, they were ALWAYS late at going off...
I think I remember someone else also doing this. Turn on at 100% about .6 seconds before you want it to fire. I had what I judge to be fairly good results doing this for my Snoopy's Christmas when the artillery fire is playing at the beginning.

I have both the LED and the xenon, the LED's were taken down and put back into their boxes..... they just didn't have it !!!

Denise

John2571 wrote:

I am adding 100 new strobes into my display(yes it might be overkill but overkill is GOOD);)

You can never have enough strobes! :shock:

What are CDI's operating hours?

In a case of 10 inch dripping tubes are there 10 sets (50 tubes)?

John2571 wrote:

I am adding 100 new strobes into my display(yes it might be overkill but overkill is GOOD):)

I have heard that it is good to get strobes from different suppliers so they will fire at differrent rates ?!

Any comments on this before I order ?!

Dave