Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Stopped problem solved ... I think

TWright

The problem I had the other night when my computer locked up two or three times, during the show, has been solved ... I think. The show ran perfectly last night ... no flaws, no stoppage.
What transpired is this:
When the problem occurred Sat. night, we had house guests. I noticed, Sunday morning, that they had placed an electric osculating fan on top of the computer. They left ... I removed the fan, and, miracles happened ... perfect show.
My guess is that in some way the fan interfered with the RS485 converter.
I'll let you know after tonight.

Tom

Your USB cable, is it the new style with the 3 ferrite cores strung along the cable?

That makes a huge difference, and not having that style cable would account for the extra lockups with the fan there.

Also be sure your PC is cleaned out, and not suffering thermal issues from lack of airflow...

As close as my memory goes, two years ago is about when they discovered they needed to be shipping the ones with the cords. They have 3 ferrites, about 3/4 inch in diameter, and 1.5 inches long, with one turn around the ferrite. (2 passes through the core) So check which you have.

If you already have one, I would look strongly at the PC. There is not really anything that can likely happen past the USB adapter that can lock up the PC.. You can unplug the cable, plug in bad controllers, or pretty much anything, and it won't lock up the show... Lockups are pretty well contained to the PC, and the USB link to the adapter.

That sounds like the one they were shipping briefly, when the first started shipping them. I'm not aware of any issues with it.

Which version of the software are you using? Are all power saving features on your computer turned off?

I'm using 2.8.12. Power options o.k.
I looked on the LOR page and the current cord has a dual ferrite filter at one end a nd a single on the other ... mine has two singles... what do you think? I'm thinking about calling them but getting one here (Mississippi) this week might be a problem.
Tom

Any possible sources of electronic noise around the cable? Any chance of moving the cable, or noise source further away?

When you are locked up, have you tried unplugging the USB cable, and seeing what happens when you plug it back in?

-klb- wrote:

Any possible sources of electronic noise around the cable? Any chance of moving the cable, or noise source further away?

When you are locked up, have you tried unplugging the USB cable, and seeing what happens when you plug it back in?

If you try unplugging the cable, and the show resumes when you plug it back in, I would definitely suspect the cable.

klb also offers another very good point - keep the cable away from anything else (power cords, transmitter, etc) that could introduce noise.

The transmitter sits on top of the computer ... could that cause a problem? It's where I had it last year with no problems but each day is a new beginning in the computer world. I'm also taking the side off of my computer case to create, as suggested, more air flow. I'll try unplugging the usb if/when it happens again ... good call.
Tom
p.s. you're a good guy to take this much trouble with me.

Thanks to you, also, Duane. You've been very helpful and kind ... I hope our discussion helps others. You know, that's the one variable that is different from last year ... wireless mouse. I'll try it tonight.
Tom

Bingo!

The show ran without a hitch last night. I swapped my wireless mouse with a corded one and had no problems at all. Thanks for the suggestions Duane and klb ... we'll see if the luck holds. :)
Tom