Light-O-Rama Forums

Hello LOR World

roknjohn

The sale is worth waiting for, unless you plan on using LOR for lanscaping lights year round or doing shows for other Holidays. Also purchase the software during the sale too. I ordered software and 32 channels during the sale. I then earned some extra money and bought a third controller. Since you are planning this early for next year, 48 channels won't be overwelming for you and gives you enough channels to be happy with. The hardest part is deciding on what to do and sticking to it. Making revisions after starting to sequence kinda sucks. You're gonna be surprised on how many extension cords you're gonna need! When buying lights, by a bunch of the same thing. A string of this and a string of that will create more headaches for you, you may not be able to get additional later when you need them.

Also consider starting with one color only. This allows you to have more elements to your display so if you do a sweep across the display it will look much nicer than a few elements and a mix of color unless you can afford to do everything in two color. I have some elements that are four color and some that are 2-3 color and not consistant made it a little tougher to get what I wanted. Hope this makes sense, I'm home sick today.

Welcome to the addiction. you can check out anytime but you will never leave. as far as WOW factor in your display a mega tree is probably number 1 and arches1A. This is my first year and bought 80 channels during the spring sale. The fun started then. setting up props all year,sequencing several hours and seeing a tear in my wifes eye when I went live was a blast.

80 channels was not all that tough to do. watch the forums ask questions and amuse the regulars here by letting the give you advice. really there is no silly questions you can ask. and if anyone tells you "newbies" only get so many questions to ask get creative when asking. these guys are easily manipulated. Have fun

I appreciate everyone's input, especially given the time of year. I just want to make sure I soak up enough information to take full advantage of the after-Christmas sales next week. I remember last year in Walmart you could get 100ct minis for 70 cents or something crazy like that just a few days after Christmas. I remember laughing, thinking that's a good deal but Christmas is over, dude. My attitude will be much different this year. :D

A mega-tree is definately in the plan. I like Mike's light bar, too. As this is going to be my first year and I'm not 100% sure of the wife's reaction, I'm going to have to be very conscious of the daylight appearance. My elements will have to blend in nicely with our landscape until she is hooked.

Since I have this long white spit rail fence around my property, I'm going to be looking for a creative effect for it. Maybe I could incorporate some arches with it, we'll see.

roknjohn.

I have 3 enclosed Boxes that are big enough to house my controllers and make the cords less visible. They are brightly painted and my wife put large bows on the top of them. Plus some large wood cutouts cut like tree ornaments that are brightly painted too. It was something she enjoyed doing in making the daytime look better. Just a thought. Also If you can stay away from to many incandescent lights. Power draw on the LOR boxes and electrical cost. LEDS are more durable and in the long run cheaper. This will be something you can enjoy for years.

• 2 weeks later...

roknjohn wrote:

Ok, the first draft of my 2011 design is complete and I will only need 157 channels and 73,500 lights. :(

Snicker "only need 157 channels"

Soon you will realize you "need" more channels and more lights and more....

roknjohn wrote:

Ok, the first draft of my 2011 design is complete and I will only need 157 channels and 73,500 lights. :D

Hey John! Welcome to SC. Guessing you too are a displaced Yankee?? Me 2! Orig NY. I'm just outside Charleston now in Summerville. This is now my 2nd year. I began this never ending project back on 1/3/10. WOAH! What a blast its been. If your on FB you can take a look @ our fanpage and since I'm fairly close to you, I'd be glad to assist if you have any questions. There will be a LOR presale sometime very soon. Its limited quanity so ya gotta be quick with the mouse! :) Like split second quick, but thats the best pricing of the year. The summer sale is a tad bit higher but larger quanities. Welcome to the madness!! Its like March Madness, only difference it lasts ALL YEAR ;)