Light-O-Rama Forums

rs485 not recognized

neo8820

I'm having trouble with my light o rama hardware this year. When I plug in the rs485 converter windows tells me that "One of the usb devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned" and it shows up as an unknown device in device manager. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver which did not help. Any suggestions?

Are there any alternatives that I might be able to find locally? With only a week til Christmas I'd hate to be without for the better part of next week waiting on shipping.

I'm assuming something like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2806154 wouldn't work since it's not really ethernet but a usb to serial converter using the rs485 protocol?

I think I could find a usb to serial converter with a serial connection locally but a usb to serial converter with an ethernet port might be a stretch. What do you all think?

No that will not work, It is set up for ethernet voltages and pin outs. Even if you find a USB to Serial converter you still need to convert that serial(RS232) to RS485. there are other places to get USB to RS485 Converters but I think you are still going to hve to wait on shipping. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:(

Ok I did a little more research and I was confusing some terms. Here is what I think I know based on 10 minutes of research :(

rs232 - common serial protocol for short range communications

rs485 - long range serial protocol

rj45 - ethernet port

db9 - 9 pin serial port

I think I can find a usb to rs232 converter locally. However, it's going to be a db9 connector not rj45. They sell db9 to rj45 cables locally too. My questions is, since I'm in a pinch will rs232 work for a 30 foot run to the controller or does it have to be rs485?

kzaas wrote:

No that will not work, It is set up for ethernet voltages and pin outs. Even if you find a USB to Serial converter you still need to convert that serial(RS232) to RS485. there are other places to get USB to RS485 Converters but I think you are still going to hve to wait on shipping. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:(

Hey, thanks kzaas. Sorry did see your post before I hit "post".

RS232 runs on 12VDC for its communication voltages where RS485 is only aout 3-4 VDC. You will most likely damage your comm chip in your controller.

I see your profile does not list your loction. Where are you located?

I wish you were closer because I have a serial to RS485 Converter I could let you borrow for the season but it would take just as long in shipping as Light-O-Rama's would. Sorry as you can see I'm in California.

Any idea what could have caused the converter to spontaneously stop working? I'm worried about a short in the Ethernet cable perhaps sent voltage over a wire that shouldn't get it. I'm wondering if I should replace my cable too just to be safe.