Light-O-Rama Forums

work on sequences while show is playing

gmacw

I haven't tried yet but can I work on a sequence in the sequence editor while show is playing? I'm not talking about a sequence that's set up in the show, it would be new. I don't want to effect the show outside is I start working in editor.

Guest wbottomley

gmacw wrote:

I haven't tried yet but can I work on a sequence in the sequence editor while show is playing?  I'm not talking about a sequence that's set up in the show, it would be new.  I don't want to effect the show outside is I start working in editor.

Try it and see. You might not like the results of your audio.

Actually, you can work on a sequence while the show is running. You can't control the lights, but you can work on a sequence - even the one that's playing. But like Bill said, you definitely won't like what happens if you play any part of the sequence you're working on, because it will go out on top of whatever is playing in the yard. So go ahead and use the sequence editor to place all the events all you want to in new sequences - just don't push play or the space bar, or anything else that makes a sound while the show is running.

Any sound your computer makes will be heard by anyone watching the show. You can work on animation sequences but not musical ones. Well...you can actually work on it as long as you don't hit play.

Well, I guess I was wrong. Sorry!

I could of sworn I had try to open the sequence editor one night with the show running and got a "comm port in use" error.

vipzach wrote:

I could of sworn I had try to open the sequence editor one night with the show running and got a "comm port in use" error.
You are right, you do get a comm port error but you can still use the editor. You just can't talk to the controllers because the show has control of the port and the controllers.

kzaas wrote:

vipzach wrote:

You are right, you do get a comm port error but you can still you the editor. You just can't talk to the controllers because the show has cotrol of the port and the controllers.

Oh, OK.

Thank you

I don''t get those error messages anymore. I'm using 2.8.10. I don't know if I've set some kind of preference without realizing or remembering it, or if the software has changed. Either way I like it - I'm aware of when the show player is enabled and I don't need the software to nag me.

gmacw wrote:

I haven't tried yet but can I work on a sequence in the sequence editor while show is playing? I'm not talking about a sequence that's set up in the show, it would be new. I don't want to effect the show outside is I start working in editor.

That is one of the reasons I like the mini director MP3 player. I can slip in an SD card and let the show run and then come to the computer and fix or make any sequence I want without any interference.

It was & is worth $100.00 in my book (when I bought it).....or what ever it costs now.

I do not like anyone touching my computers and that is another reason I bought the MP3 director/player unit.......that way my sons or wife is able to run the show by simply putting an SD card into the slot.

Something to think about for next year.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Another question comes up... How many licenses do we get? Like, I think I can install on another computer so I can work on the musical sequences & listen to them without worrying about people outside hearing me go crazy while sequencing a new one.

I would like to add the following possibility and I'll preface by saying that I too use the Director, and I highly recommend it. Your shows will run without depending on your pc. I'm running Windows 7 professional. It lets me create a VM (virtual machine). Even though I haven't created a third instance of xp for lor purposes, based on what I know and understand, I could install lor in my other xp vm and assign a different usb port. I would then be able to modify sequences without affecting the current running "production" version.

George Simmons wrote:

I don''t get those error messages anymore. I'm using 2.8.10. I don't know if I've set some kind of preference without realizing or remembering it, or if the software has changed. Either way I like it - I'm aware of when the show player is enabled and I don't need the software to nag me.

I have never gotten an error message either...and I KNOW I did not change any preferences.

It's nice to be able to be watching the show...see something I would like/need to change and go in and do it while the show is still running.

As for computer noises going over the air...just disable your computer sounds.

jimswinder wrote:

As for computer noises going over the air...just disable your computer sounds.

If you disable your computer sounds, you will turn off the audio part of your show too.

D.T.