Light-O-Rama Forums

Winter Holiday House 2010

ryebred

This is my first year doing an animated display and everything has been running without a hitch since November 28th. I finally got a video camera and went outside the last couple of nights to try and get video of the display but it hasn't been easy with all the cars and people that keep pulling up in front of me to watch the show. Out of 12 sequences, I managed to capture three without a lot of traffic in the picture and I have posted them to youtube. I am still playing with the settings on the camera also.

Winter Wonderland

Music Box Dancer

Joy to the World

The videos can also be seen on my website along with pictures and other information on the display.

http://www.winterholidayhouse.com/

Myles wrote:

Whoa! YouTube hasn't it down! Props to you my good man!!

-Myles

The original videos of my LOR animations with music were blocked on youtube. But all I did was click the dispute link that they give you and copy and paste the text about the fair use act and in less than an hour the videos were unblocked.

ryebred wrote:

Myles wrote:
Whoa! YouTube hasn't it down! Props to you my good man!!

-Myles

The original videos of my LOR animations with music were blocked on youtube. But all I did was click the dispute link that they give you and copy and paste the text about the fair use act and in less than an hour the videos were unblocked.

Nice!!

-Myles

I'm still 1/2 asleep and the 1st cup of coffee hasnt went down yet, but am I seeing Red, Green and Blue in your arches too? Carol of Bells I see red turning on? Maybe I'm crazy? Anyhow, very nice indeed! The traffic driving in front of the camera drives me crazy. I shoot @ 630 am and have to deal with all the people going to work!

Bob Wingert wrote:

I'm still 1/2 asleep and the 1st cup of coffee hasnt went down yet, but am I seeing Red, Green and Blue in your arches too? Carol of Bells I see red turning on? Maybe I'm crazy? Anyhow, very nice indeed! The traffic driving in front of the camera drives me crazy. I shoot @ 630 am and have to deal with all the people going to work!

The four arches are made from two CCR's. So, they could be any color essentially. I tend to stick to red, green, and white on most sequences to match my LED strings. In the Joy to the World sequence, they go through many more color transitions.

The lights on the garage are, of course, your Rainbow Wall Runners Greg. :) I have six of them bundled into groups of two so I can get three different colors on the door at one time. The whites come out looking a bit bluish or purplish on the video. They don't look like that in person.

Hi! Question about the arches. What are the dimensions? height/distance? How easy was it to work with the ccr's?

Thanks,
Sally

sasmuse wrote:

Hi! Question about the arches. What are the dimensions? height/distance? How easy was it to work with the ccr's?

Thanks,
Sally

Each arch is an 8 foot section of electrical PVC conduit. They come in 10 foot sections but I cut them down to 8 feet. I pounded in 3/4 inch by 18 inch metal stakes into the ground every 68-1/2 inches at a 45 degree angle. Then I slipped the PVC over it to make the arch. Then I attached the CCR to each one with zip ties.

The length of each arch is 69 inches or 5-3/4 feet. The height of each arch is roughly 3 feet. I liked having the smaller arches because I have them situated in the front of my display and the low height allows people to see over them easily enough.

In order to have the CCR cords reach the controllers in a box that is situated between the arches, I had to turn the first set of arches backwards. That is, in the software, it goes from pixel 50 on the left to pixel 1 on the right and the second set of arches go from pixel 1 on the left to pixel 50 on the right.

Now that the LOR software has the chase tool, working with the CCR's is much easier. It can still be time consuming to get fancy effects but it is not difficult.

Keith Adams wrote:

How were you suspending your floods for your garage door?

Those are Greg's Rainbow Wall Runners from http://www.christmasonmanor.com/store/

I zip tied two together on a yard stick so I could aim them and keep them pointed in the same direction. I think took that and inserted it into a clear fluorescent light safety tube they sell at any home store. Then I used an electrical conduit mounting bracket, which again, can be found at any hardware store, and screwed that into the beams under the eaves of my house. Below is a picture that will give you a better idea of how it is mounted.

Attached files 232721=12739-WallRunner.jpg

• The topic was locked