Light-O-Rama Forums

Be Careful Out There...

jimswinder

I rented a lift this year, because the thought of this happening was in the back of my mind, money well spent, I wish I was taking donations this year, I would have sent some that way.........................

This why I don't use anything larger than a 3 step type ladder, if I can't reach it with a small 3 step ladder, then it just doesn't need to be lit/get any decorations.

I did the larger ladder and strung lights all around my house last year and that was the first and LAST time I ever do that, never, ever again. Crawling on the roof to get the lights in position just not worth the risk.

What strikes me so strange about this story was he just had a shoulder injury by the newspaper report, there must hafve been some other internal damage the doctors apparently missed. I just can't see passing away from a shoulder injury like that, had to be more to it that we just don't know about. But it's definitely sad in the fact he was helping others with their lights and fell off a ladder like that.

Our prayers go out to them as well. It's even sadder that this gentleman was well known and liked, as well as a helper to everyone like this. I'm certain he will be extremely missed.

Orville wrote:

What strikes me so strange about this story was he just had a shoulder injury by the newspaper report, there must hafve been some other internal damage the doctors apparently missed.

It was a blood clot...

jimswinder wrote:

Orville wrote:
What strikes me so strange about this story was he just had a shoulder injury by the newspaper report, there must hafve been some other internal damage the doctors apparently missed.

It was a blood clot...

Understand that and didn't even think about that Jim.

I should have remembered that since I've had a few relatives die by a blood clot going into their heart, usually always put as they died of a heart attack with the blood clot being the underlying cause.

But I've also had relatives die of internal injuries that were missed at the initial diagnosis, but unfortunately found after they passed on. Sometimes internal injuries are very hard to detect depending on where or what they are. (or so I've been told.)

well, i have to so that it can happen to anyone....after the xmas of 2008 i was putting away my stuff into my upper garage....its 9 1/2 feet up when i stepped out onto the ladder it gave way and i fell to the garage floor backwords on the ladder,bent the ladder and i layed there for 5 minutes, at least it seemed that way calling for the wife,when she responed,she thought that i had just slipped,but when she realized that i had fallen, she called 911,they didnt want me to move,was transported to the er where they found that i hadnt broken anything(they say that 8 feet onto concrete is the minimum distance to normally sustain and brake or fracture) so needless to say i was lucky,still i was in pain from the fall and missed a few days or work......so yes it can happen......i have large bones they say......

After this story came out I told the people (whose house I decorate with my lights) that they had better not stop the light shows if something happened to me!!!

I would be VERY disappointed if they did that!!

jimswinder wrote:

After this story came out I told the people (whose house I decorate with my lights) that they had better not stop the light shows if something happened to me!!!

I would be VERY disappointed if they did that!!

Jim, you could always threaten them with if they stopped, you'd be back to from the grave to HAUNT:shock:THEM until they started again. :D:D

• The topic was locked