Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter dont know where to post this

Bernie S.

Bernie S. wrote:

Hey i bought a whole house transmitter, it does not work well at all like 6 ft max range, anyone have any ideas?

Boy, you really got ripped off. MY Whole House model had about a 20-foot range.

My idea would be for you to get a better transmitter.

about how far are you transmitting? did u extend the antenna? Or was it just plug and play?

I called them 3 times today no answer, pretty irritating

What type would you recommend i just went off the fact that they sell it on here and alot of the reviews were good.

Bernie S. wrote:

Hey i bought a whole house transmitter, it does not work well at all like 6 ft max range, anyone have any ideas?

I had a WHT. It would barely get across the street, even when I attached it to a 10' pvc pipe onto my chimney. I made a nice little weather proof box for it, made the ant. length correct, flipped the switch behind the sticker and it would still barely get next door. I returned it and got my money back.

Then I came across this transmitter. Wow, this was more powerful than I imagined. This little thing reached out about a mile and a half (note: I put the Ant. up in the attic, ran cable down the wall to the transmitter. My house also has aluminum siding all around). I found a little stubby ant. for $10 on ebay, hooked that up and now I get out about 3-4 city blocks which is fine for me, the transmitter is sitting close to a window on the back side of my house. Since this was coming from China I thought it would take about 3-4 weeks for delivery. I ordered it on a Thursday evening and it was knocking on my door the following Thursday morning. That was fast delivery. It cost me $50 more than the WHT, but well worth it.

MikeH

Bernie I also purchased an extended plug in jack at Radio Shack for 10.00 and got it out to the middle of my yard hung it on a tree then it worked good, but if you want great this is not the product. You will have to spend like 150-200 on other units but for 70. c.crane does just fine...Bart

This is the one I got, I did Make Offer of $35, he took it, recieved it a week later..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250679532258

It's sitting on top of the metal computer case, lower level of the house and has abt a 1/2 mile range with just the plug in antenna on low power, MORE than enough to cover around the house (thats why it's downstairs). Before you ask why not go farther, I'm an Extra Class ham radio operator and know why not to go farther.

I am going to call them again today to return it I messed with it for a hour. Last night it's just not what they said it was. Thanks I'm going to order that one today.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

This is the one I got, I did Make Offer of $35, he took it, recieved it a week later..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250679532258

It's sitting on top of the metal computer case, lower level of the house and has abt a 1/2 mile range with just the plug in antenna on low power, MORE than enough to cover around the house (thats why it's downstairs). Before you ask why not go farther, I'm an Extra Class ham radio operator and know why not to go farther.

Sweet deal for $35. Extra Class ham radio operator? Did you have to stay after school? LOL

MikeH

So i added the international antenna, peeled the sticker and cranked the switch up and the transmitter works great now. Works about 5-6 houses up the street. Nice and clear. Thanks everyone for your help.

If you bought it from LightORama, e-mail them and ask for suggestions. I bought one from them this year, similar results to yours, they told me several easy things to do (nothing additional to buy) and it works awesome now.

• 1 month later...

What else can you do to make i work better? Also what sticker is everyone talking about to peel off the back of the transmitter to make it more powerful? Right now anything would help me. Thank You

spindler88 wrote:

What else can you do to make i work better? Also what sticker is everyone talking about to peel off the back of the transmitter to make it more powerful? Right now anything would help me. Thank You

In the battery compartment, there is a little white (?) sticker, underneath the sticker there is a switch. Make sure the antenna is cut to the correct length as to the frequency you are using. Of course, if all else fails, send it back.

MikeH

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really need 5 watts of RF to cover 1 mile, when your light display is visable for just a few hundred feet?

If you reside in the USA and you are broadcasting more than .1mw on the FM dial, you are illegal in the eyes and ears of the FCC

Unlicensed broadcasts on the FM broadcast band (88 to 108 MHz) are limited to a field strength of 250 µ/V/m at a distance of 3 meters from the antenna. This is equivalent to 0.1 milliwatts. Emissions must be kept within the 88.0 to 108.0 MHz band under Part 15 rules

I have posted many replies about this same topic and the reason is, Yes I am a Radio Engineer and yes you don't want the FCC to knock on your door. Yes they are under staffed and under paid, and yes normally you have to be reported by a neighbor or somebody's radio station your interfering with, and yes 5 watts can achive that if the station is in a fringe reception area. If the FCC knocks on your door and if they are in a good mood you will be given a warning and told to "fix" the problem and they will tell you they will be back to make sure you are compliant, but if they are not in a good mood they can and will take all your broadcast equipment and give you a hefty fine in the 10's of thousands of dollars and if you interferred with a commercial radio station and that engineer reported you, you can have an additional fine of lost revenue of said station.

I've been a light synchronizer for 6 years now and I broadcast this way
http://www.carrollights.com/14.html

Make sure your FM/AM Transmitter is FCC Certified.

okay I will step off my soap box now, Happy Broadcasting